a support or foundation
the position where a thing or person stands
a growth of similar plants (usually trees) in a particular area
a small table for holding articles of various kinds
a support for displaying various articles
an interruption of normal activity
a mental position from which things are viewed
a booth where articles are displayed for sale
a stop made by a touring musical or theatrical group to give a performance
tiered seats consisting of a structure (often made of wood) where people can sit to watch an event (game or parade)
a platform where a (brass) band can play in the open air
a defensive effort
- He stood firm amid temptations.
- He stood on tiptoe and tried to see over the wall.
- He stood in a strange street.
- The two houses stood 500 metres apart.
- He stood to his offer of $100 and would not withdraw.
- He stood outside the house before going in.
- They stood in silent homage round her grave.
- He stood with his hands on his hips.