- 怕羞的,腼腆的 timid and nervous in the presence of others; reserved
- 胆怯的 (of animals, birds, etc.) unwilling to be seen or be near to humans; easily frightened
- 有戒心的,不喜欢…的 wary or afraid of (a person or an action)
- 缺乏的,不足的 lacking; short
- vi. 惊退,畏缩 (usually of a horse) turn aside or hold back in fear or alarm
- a quick throw;
"he gave the ball a shy to the first baseman"
- lacking self-confidence;
"stood in the doorway diffident and abashed"
"problems that call for bold not timid responses"
"a very unsure young man"
"eleven is one shy of a dozen"
- wary and distrustful; disposed to avoid persons or things;
"shy of strangers"
- start suddenly, as from fright
- throw quickly
- He was too shy to talk to anyone at the party.
- We must not fight shy of hard work.
- The shy girl was afraid to contradict.
Mary is a shy girl.
She gave him a shy smile.
His low voice and shy look soon made him a favourite among his colleagues.
This young scholar is of a shy modesty and excessive fear of offence which often obscured his real worth.
Just before the night fell, there was a shy knock on the door.
The little girl blazed shy.
Many of the 18 contestants were looking a little shy.
We're still two tickets shy.
Jack is shy with strangers and bold with people he knows well.
The dog is shy of strangers.
She's shy of buying shares.
The child was shy of telling the truth.
Don't be shy of telling us the truth.
He's always very shy of approaching his chief.
We have a lot of pens, but we're shy on ink.
We're still ten men shy of a full class.
He was too shy to speak to her.
The Australian lyre-bird is so shy that even bushmen rarely see one.
Why is the moon so shy that it never shows us the other side of its face?
The little colt shied at the fence and refused to jump over it.
The horse shied at the luod noise and threw its rider.
Ade bashfully shied.
- fight shy of
避开… avoid sb/sth; be unwilling to undertake (a task) or confront sb
She was unhappy in her job for months but always fought shy of telling her boss. 她几个月来工作都很不愉快,却始终未向老板启齿。
All children fight shy of lessons. 所有孩子都不喜欢上课。
- 避开… avoid sb/sth; be unwilling to undertake (a task) or confront sb
- once bitten, twice shy
一次被咬,下次胆小; 一次上当,下次小心,一朝被蛇咬,十年怕井绳 after an unpleasant experience one is careful to avoid sth similar
Jenny certainly won't go swimming—once bitten, twice shy. 珍妮肯定不会再去游泳了——所谓一朝被蛇咬,十年怕井绳。
- 一次被咬,下次胆小; 一次上当,下次小心,一朝被蛇咬,十年怕井绳 after an unpleasant experience one is careful to avoid sth similar
- shy away from (v.+adv.+prep.)
(由于羞怯或恐惧等)躲开或避开 avoid or move away from sth/doing sth (usually because of shyness, fear, etc.) shy away from sth/v-ing
She's always shied away from close friendships.她总是避免与人深交。
The girl shied away from looking the strange man in the eye.这女孩很害羞,不敢正视那个陌生人。
- (由于羞怯或恐惧等)躲开或避开 avoid or move away from sth/doing sth (usually because of shyness, fear, etc.) shy away from sth/v-ing
- shy about 不敢做…的,对…害羞的
- shy about singing 不好意思唱歌
- shy of 对…迟疑,畏缩,缺乏
- shy of funds 资金不足
- shy of girls 在女孩子面前很害羞
- shy of light 怕光
- shy of speaking 不敢多讲话
- shy of trying again 不敢再试
- shy with woman 和女人在一起怕羞
- shy bashfully 害羞地退缩
The blighter is as shy as a wood-nymph.出自：J. Buchan
Kruger National Park, where the animals have ceased to be shy.出自：R. Campbell
She had seemed to want to take her in, then she had shied at her.出自：H. James
That..oblivion from which..thoughts unconsciously shy.出自：E. Glyn
Shying at the sticks better than any man in the army.出自：Thackeray
Shying quick stones to keep the beasts in line.出自：P. Matthiessen
- shy作“缺乏的,不足的”解时主要用于美式英语,在句中一般用作表语,无比较级和最高级。用于其他词义时,则有比较级和最高级,分别为shyer, shyest。
- shy常用于shy away from短语中,此时通常以人作主语,意为由于羞怯或恐惧等而“躲开”或“避开”。
误 He was not shy about offering suggestions.
正 He was not shy of offering suggestions.
析 be shy of是固定短语,表示“不好意思(做某事)”或“对…存有戒心”其中的介词不可用about代替。
误 This animal is not often seen by man, as it is an extremely nervous creature.
正 This animal is not often seen by man, as it is an extremely shy creature.
- ☆ 直接源自晚期古语英的sceoh，意为羞怯的。
- SHY:Suomen Hitsausteknillinen Yhdistys (Welding Society of Finland)Suomen Hitsausteknillinen Yhdistys焊接协会(芬兰)
- SHY:Syllable Hyphen字节连字符
- SHY:Say Hi Yes说“你好啊
- shy:shy adj. 怕羞的, 畏缩的, 害羞的 英英解释:名词shy:1. a quick throw动词shy:1. start suddenly, as from fight2. throw qui…