- n. 小圆石；砂砾；木瓦；屋顶板；<口>小招牌；女子短发式样
- v. 盖以木瓦；挤压；锻铁
building material used as siding or roofing
coarse beach gravel of small waterworn stones and pebbles (or a stretch of shore covered with such gravel)
a small signboard outside the office of a lawyer or doctor, e.g.
cover with shingles;
"shingle a roof"
- On this beach there's too much shingle and not enough sand.
- I prefer a sandy beach to a shingle one.
- The roof of our house is covered by shingles.
- They lapped one shingle over another in laying a roof.
- Then he scraped away the dirt, and exposed a pine shingle.
- The doctor hung out his shingle at the beginning of this year.
- She has to take the bar exam before she can hang out her shingle.
- She cut the hair in a shingle.
- shingle barrier 粗砾滩
- asphalt shingle 沥青瓦,沥青屋面板...
- wood shingle 木屋面
- shingle roofing 木板屋面
- oak shingle 栎木瓦
- clay shingle 陶瓦,粘土瓦...
- shingle structure 叠瓦构造
- wall shingle 墙面板
- asbestos shingle 石棉瓦
- shingle barchan 新月形砾滩
- shingle nail 墙面板,用木板盖屋面...
- shingle beach 卵石海岸
- shingle lap 瓦片搭接
- shingle bank 粗砾岸
- hang out one's shingle 挂牌开业
- hang up one's shingle 挂牌开业
Rain-rotted shingles drooped over the eaves of the veranda.出自： Harper Lee
From..the shore came the sound of fine shingle being pulled out and dropped back. attrib.:出自： E. North