someone who takes the place of another (as when things get dangerous or difficult);
"the star had a stand-in for dangerous scenes"
"we need extra employees for summer fill-ins"
a person who reduces the intensity (e.g., of fears) and calms and pacifies;
"a reliever of anxiety"
"an allayer of fears"
a pitcher who does not start the game
- The doctor prescribed a pain reliever.
- No reliever threw a pitch in the bullpen.
- Crying can be a great stress reliever.
- I think I can take most medicine except for strong pain reliever.
- Humor is therapeutic. It is a pain reliever for painful times.
- Kyle Farnsworth will be the primary eighth-inning reliever.
- pain reliever 镇痛药