- [C]女王,女酋长,女首领 female ruler of an independent state
- [C]王后 wife of a king
- [C]出众的女性〔地方、事物〕 woman, place or thing regarded as best or most important in some way
- [C]蜂王,蚁王 fertile female insect that produces eggs for the whole group
- [C]棋后,(纸牌的)王后 (in chess) the most powerful piece on the board, used for attack and defence; (in a pack of playing cards) any of the four cards with the picture of queen on
- [C]男性同性恋者 a male homosexual
- vt. & vi. (使…)升为后 (in chess) change (a pawn) into a queen by moving it across the board to the opponent's end; be changed in this way
the only fertile female in a colony of social insects such as bees and ants and termites; its function is to lay eggs
a female sovereign ruler
the wife or widow of a king
something personified as a woman who is considered the best or most important of her kind;
"Paris is the queen of cities"
"the queen of ocean liners"
a competitor who holds a preeminent position
offensive term for an openly homosexual man
one of four face cards in a deck bearing a picture of a queen
(chess) the most powerful piece
an especially large mole rat and the only member of a colony of naked mole rats to bear offspring which are sired by only a few males
promote to a queen, as of a pawn in chess
become a queen;
"her pawn queened"
- The queen consort has come together with the king.
- Mary, Queen of Scots, was put to death in1587.
- They were bowing as the king and queen walking in.
- The Pope was present at the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
- They saluted the Queen by firing ten guns.
- The Queen was flanked by a retinue of bodyguards and policemen.
- The queen ruled her kingdom wisely.
- The queen was gracious enough to invite us.
- The queen of England is a hereditary ruler.
- The queen's robes were garnished with gems and fur.
- The maids helped to divest the queen of her robes.
- By a cunning trick he became the queen's confidant.
- Queen Marie Antoinete of France was the wife of Louis the 16th.
- The royal family consists of the king and queen and their relatives.
- Inside the pyramids are the rooms for kings and queens.
- She is elected as May Queen this year.
- Owing to the link with medicine, botany was queen.
- London is the queen of British cities.
- Venice is the queen of the Adriatic.
- The queen bee never leaves the hive.
- There is the queen of hearts in his hands.
- Have you seen that womanish man?He's a queen.
- Queen Anne's dead
这不是新闻,是众所周知的 expression to indicate that a statement is old news
- queen it over
对…似掌权者行事 behave as if in a position of power over sb
queen it over sb
Since her promotion she queens it over everyone else in the office.
She's not the kind of girl to let promotion go to her head.Not the sort to queen it over the ordinary nurses.
- become queen 成为女王
- love a queen 热爱女王
- make sb queen 拥戴…为女王
- praise a queen 颂扬女王
- serve a queen 为女王效劳
- toast a queen 为女王干杯
- beauty queen 第一美女,选美得头奖者
- cruel queen 残忍的女王
- faithless queen 无信誉的女王
- late queen 先女王
- popular queen 受臣民欢迎的女王
- strong queen 有权势的女王
- weak queen 软弱的女王
- queen mother 皇太后
Hermione, Queen to the worthy Leontes, King of Sicilia.出自：Winter's Tale , Shakespeare
Spenser..flourished in the reign of Queen Elizabeth.出自： Dryden
Nan..still queened it over the rest of the staff.出自： J. Gathorne
The bride was in full folly, queening it before the groom.出自： V. S. Pritchett
- 在俚语中, queen也可作“男性同性恋者”解,指男性同性恋者中充当女人角色的那个男子,常用于贬义。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的cwen，意为皇后。