remorse for your past conduct
a Catholic sacrament; repentance and confession and atonement and absolution
voluntary self-punishment in order to atone for some wrongdoing
- He had done penance for his sins, we should forgive him.
- She regards living in New York as a penance; she hates big cities.
- There is no absolution without penance.
- She knelt at her mother's feet in penance.
- Yeah. I'm doing penance for forgetting her birthday last week.
'And now for your penance' the priest said. 'Say the litany of the Saints.'出自： P. Kavanagh
I offered up prayers at Benediction in penance for shouting at you.出自： B. Moore