- 仅仅,只不过 only; simply
and nothing more;
"I was merely asking"
"it is simply a matter of time"
"just a scratch"
"he was only a child"
"hopes that last but a moment"
- They are not merely content to fill the stomach.
- I accepted this job merely for the high salary.
- She is merely a child.
- I merely suggest you should do it again.
- I merely suggested you should do it again.There's no need to get annoyed.
- We can't go into all the details of that case now,I merely mention it in passing.
- They were so poor that they did not live but merely existed.
- The television program is designed to educate and not merely to entertain.
- Education does not mean merely feeding the students with facts.
- It occurred to us that we were merely duplicating their research.
- He walked as if nothing had happened to his leg, but everyone could see that he was merely acting the part.
- It is no use merely mentioning the fact in passing; it needs to be driven home by emphasis and repetition.
- The tourists dismissed the Irish weather as merely wet and cold.
- She's merely a child.
- It is merely a suggestion.
- That is merely an academic discussion.
- Language is speech, writing is merely a device for recording speech.
Things rank and gross in nature Possess it merely.出自：Hamlet , Shakespeare
- Not merely位于句首时可引起主语和谓语部分倒装。
- ☆ 15世纪中期进入英语，直接源自拉丁语的mercus，意为纯净，仅。