- 仅仅,只不过 only; simply
- and nothing more;
"I was merely asking"
"it is simply a matter of time"
"just a scratch"
"he was only a child"
"hopes that last but a moment"
- They are not merely content to fill the stomach.
- She is merely a child.
- I merely suggest you should do it again.
I merely suggested you should do it again.There's no need to get annoyed.
We can't go into all the details of that case now,I merely mention it in passing.
They were so poor that they did not live but merely existed.
The television program is designed to educate and not merely to entertain.
Education does not mean merely feeding the students with facts.
It occurred to us that we were merely duplicating their research.
He walked as if nothing had happened to his leg, but everyone could see that he was merely acting the part.
It is no use merely mentioning the fact in passing; it needs to be driven home by emphasis and repetition.
The tourists dismissed the Irish weather as merely wet and cold.
She's merely a child.
It is merely a suggestion.
That is merely an academic discussion.
Language is speech, writing is merely a device for recording speech.
Things rank and gross in nature Possess it merely.出自：Hamlet,Shakespeare
- Not merely位于句首时可引起主语和谓语部分倒装。
- merely有时相当于a mere。例如:merely two hours = a mere two hours(仅有两个小时)merely 40 years ago = a mere 40 years ago(仅仅40年前)
- ☆ 15世纪中期进英入语，直接源自拉丁语的mercus，意为纯净，仅。
- merely:merely adv. 仅仅, 只, 不过…