- 不多的,很少 not many
- 少数,很少,几个 a small number; but at least some
- a small elite group;
"it was designed for the discriminating few"
- a quantifier that can be used with count nouns and is often preceded by `a'; a small but indefinite number;
"a few weeks ago"
"a few more wagons than usual"
"an invalid's pleasures are few and far between"
"few roses were still blooming"
"few women have led troops in battle"
- We saw few students there.
- The sunny intervals we were promised have been few and far between.
- Very few girls went to school then.
- Only a few of my friends were informed about it.
- It's easy to while a few hours away in a museum.
- My time is precious; I can only give you a few minutes.
He is a man of few words.
Few students attended the meeting.
I have too few chances to enjoy myself.
Changes in policy were few.
Few know and few care.
Few of them came to class during last storm.
I have very few left.
Very few of the students are from Beijing.
They'll probably have a few in by this time.
Only〔So〕 few of them care to sing a song.
Some few of the students are absent today.
Quite a few of us are getting worried.
The bad news will disturb me not a few.
- few and far between
稀少,罕见rare; not happening often
People who work as hard as you are few and far between! 像你这样努力工作的人真是太少了!
- 稀少,罕见rare; not happening often
- no fewer than
至少,约有as much as
No fewer than 10 students were absent through illness. 因病而缺课的学生不下10名。
It was an enormous ship, there were no fewer than a thousand cars on it. 这是一艘硕大无比的船,上面至少载有上千辆汽车。
- 至少,约有as much as
- have few 喝几杯
Packing his few belongings.出自：J. Conrad
George Pennicut contented himself with saying 'Goo!' He was a man of few words.出自：P. G. Wodehouse
After the few people have gone.出自：R. S. Thomas
Marriages and christenings, of which there seemed..to be fewer than there were funerals.出自：P. Scott
They have few, if any, close friends.出自：Times
Temple spent the next few days in an..attempt to find someone who would admit he was a 'problem'.出自：W. Boyd
There are very few openings in universities at the moment.出自：Economist
- only few, so few相当于few,表示否定; some few相当于some,表示肯定。
- no fewer than, not fewer than
这两个词的意思表示的主观意愿不同:no fewer than表示“几乎一样多”; not fewer than则表示“最少一样多或更多”。试比较:
- There were no fewer than 1000 people at the meeting. 到会人数竟达一千人之多。
- There were not fewer than 1000 people at the meeting. 到会人数至少也有一千人。
- few, a few
few的意思是“很少的…,几乎没有的…”,表示“虽然有,但很少”,强调“少”,表示否定的意思; a few的意思是“少数的…,几个…,一些…”,表示“虽然少,但还有”,强调“有”,表示肯定之意,两者之间的差别主要是主观上的,而不是实际数字上的差别。例如:
- There are few people in the room.
- There are a few people in the room.
- few, little
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语的fwee；最初源自古英语的feawa，意为少，少的。
- few:few adj. 很少的, 不多的, 少数的n. [表示否定]很少数, 几乎没有 英英解释:名词few:1. an indefinite but relatively small number2. a…