- [C]惯例,习俗; 制度 a habit, custom
- [C]为人熟知常在某处的人 a person who has been seen in the same place for a long time
- [C]知名人士,名流 a person who is a very familiar figure in some activity or place
- [C]社会机构 an organization
- [C]精神病院 mental hospital
- [C]慈善机构 a place where a lot of people live
- [U]建立,制定 the act of instituting
an organization founded and united for a specific purpose
an establishment consisting of a building or complex of buildings where an organization for the promotion of some cause is situated
a custom that for a long time has been an important feature of some group or society;
"the institution of marriage"
"the institution of slavery"
"he had become an institution in the theater"
the act of starting something for the first time; introducing something new;
"she looked forward to her initiation as an adult"
"the foundation of a new scientific society"
a hospital for mentally incompetent or unbalanced person
- The institution of school rules is necessary.
- Marriage is an institution in most societies.
- Marriage is love. Love is blind. Therefore marriage is an institution for the blind.
- My uncle has become quite an institution at the club.
- They adopted western culture, institutions, and even clothing.
- The institution of slavery was once widespread.
- That old man in the park is a regular institution.
- He is an institution of the little town.
- All the leading government institutions are quartered here.
- He went rather strange and had to be put into an institution.
- Institution of such schools was geared to these needs.
- The government built a charitable institution for the education of young children.
Before the Institution of coined money..people must always have been liable to the grossest frauds.出自： Adam Smith