- =internal-combustion engine 内燃机
- =International Cosmos Explorer 国际宇宙探测器，美国科学卫星
- [U]冰,冰块 water frozen so that it has become solid
- vt. & vi. (使)结冰 congeal; freeze
water frozen in the solid state;
"Americans like ice in their drinks"
the frozen part of a body of water
"look at the ice on that dame!"
a flavored sugar topping used to coat and decorate cakes
a frozen dessert with fruit flavoring (especially one containing no milk)
an amphetamine derivative (trade name Methedrine) used in the form of a crystalline hydrochloride; used as a stimulant to the nervous system and as an appetite suppressant
a heat engine in which combustion occurs inside the engine rather than in a separate furnace; heat expands a gas that either moves a piston or turns a gas turbine
a rink with a floor of ice for ice hockey or ice skating;
"the crowd applauded when she skated out onto the ice"
decorate with frosting;
"frost a cake"
cause to become ice or icy;
"an iced summer drink"
put ice on or put on ice;
"Ice your sprained limbs"
- The bird picked a hole in the ice with its beak.
- The ice cracked as I stepped onto it.
- The boy especially likes the ice on the cake.
- She ordered a strawberry ice cream.
- The new student feels like the other students are as cold as ice.
- He must ice after every workout and game for about a half hour.
- He asked the waiter to ice the beer for him.
- The next thing you must do is to ice the milk completely.
- The train was delayed because of ice on the line.
- Water will solidify into ice if you freeze it.
- Wesley added two more free throws to ice it.
- I just need to ice the cake I made for the dinner.
- The ice blocks up the river, making the upstream water unable to flow.
- The ice is too thin to bear your weight.
- He held a piece of ice and bit off a little.
- The car wheels would not bite because of the ice.
- The climbers suddenly found that their way was blocked by a perpendicular ice wall.
- He had two ices.
- The hostess iced a bottle of beer.
- His refusal iced our enthusiasm.
- She iced the cake.
- black ice
透明薄冰 thin invisible film of ice
- break the ice
打破冷场 break a deadlock
- cut no ice
无作用,不足令人信服的 have little or no effect or influence; be unconvincing
- on thin ice
处境危险,如履薄冰 take on risk
- put on ice
put sth on ice
The council has put its road-widening scheme on ice until it has the money to pay for it.
- ice over〔up〕 (v.+adv.)
(使)结冰; (使)表面覆盖上冰 freeze over
The wings of the plane have iced up and it is too dangerous to fly.
This recent severe cold has iced up all the farm machinery left in the field; I hope it isn't ruined.
最近这次凛冽的寒潮已经使田野里所有的农业机械都结上了冰; 但愿它们不会被毁坏。ice sth ⇔ over〔up〕
The thick ice has iced the windshields up.
The water iced the water pipes up.
The road becomes treacherous when it is iced up.
When the lake gets iced over, you can walk right across it to the islands.
- make ice 制冰块
- produce ice 制冰
- shave ice 刨冰
- walk over the ice 在冰上走
- eat ice 吃冰淇淋
- take an ice 要冰淇淋
- break ice 打破僵局
- cut ice 起作用
- put sth on ice 把…暂且搁一搁
- skate over thin ice 讨论棘手的问题
- artificial ice 人造冰
- black ice 薄冰(与路面颜色相似,容易使人滑倒)
- dry ice 干冰
- hard ice 硬冰
- man-made ice 人造冰
- melting ice 正在融化的冰
- soft ice 霰
- thick ice 厚冰
- thin ice 薄冰
- ice age 冰河期
- ice block 冰块
- ice box 冰镇箱
- ice cream 冰淇淋
- ice glass 冰花状玻璃
- ice machine 制冰机
- ice show 冰上表演
- ice wall 冰墙
- ice on the lake in winter 冬天湖面的冰
No ship..had been able to breach the ice in Davis Strait.出自： B. Lopez
A snowstorm was encountered and the aircraft became badly iced-up.出自：Times
- ice作名词的基本意思是“冰,冰块”,指的是水在零摄氏度或零度以下凝结成的固体,是不可数名词。说“一块冰”用a piece〔cube〕 of ice来表示。
- ice常与over, up连用,作“(使)表面上结冰”解。
误 She added two ices to the drink.
正 She added two cubes of ice to the drink.
析 ice泛指“冰块”时是不可数名词,没有复数。“一块冰”可以说a piece〔cube〕 of ice。我已经吃了两份冰淇淋。
误 I have already taken two ice.
正 I have already taken two ices.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的is，意为光滑。