- vt. & vi. 拖,拉 pull with effort or difficulty
- vt. & vi. 运送 carry (goods) in vehicle, especially a truck
- vt. 传讯 force to appear before an official body, especially a court of law; summon
- [S]拖,拉 the act of hauling
- [S]一网的捕获量; 一次偷得的数量 the amount of a net; the amount of sth stolen
- [S]拖运货物的距离 the distance over which a load is hauled
the act of drawing or hauling something;
"the haul up the hill went very slowly"
the quantity that was caught;
"the catch was only 10 fish"
draw slowly or heavily;
transport in a vehicle;
"haul stones from the quarry in a truck"
"haul vegetables to the market"
- They hauled the boat up the beach.
- It cost him no end of time and groans to haul his wounded leg behind him;
- So I won't have to haul you around all the time.
- Falumpasets haul battle wagons and the catapults of the Gungan Grand Army into the battlefield, and Boss Nass uses a decorated falumpaset as a ceremonial transport.
- It is a long haul to drive across the country.
- All haul together! One, two, three, haul!
- If you haul hard you will divert the fish.
- The fishermen hauled in a line hand over hand.
- Trains haul freight.
- Cattle are hauled by rail.
- The rope stood up under the strain of the haul.
- The thieves got away from the jeweler's with a good haul.
- The fisherman had a good haul.
- It was a long haul home and we arrived exhausted.
- haul around (v.+adv.)
haul around to sth
The wind hauled around to the east.
He hauled around to my way of thinking.
- haul at (v.+prep.)
拖或拉(某物) drag sth
haul at sth
They hauled at a rope.
The crew hauled at the heavy sail.
- haul away (v.+adv.)
用力拉 drag exerting with one's strength
haul sth ⇔ away
The tractor hauled the load away.
拖拉机将重物拖走。haul away on sth
They hauled away on the ropes.
- haul before (v.+prep.)
〈非正〉迫使(某人)出(庭)受审 force (sb) to appear before (a court of law or judge) on trial
haul sb before sth
The police have hauled Peter before the court on a charge of dangerous driving.
The least that can happen is that you'll be hauled before the company commander and given a severe reprimand.
- haul down (v.+adv.)
卸下(某重物) lift (sth heavy) down from a higher level
- haul down one's flag〔colours〕 (v.+adv.+n.)
〈非正〉妥协,投降,认输 yield; admit defeat
- haul in (v.+adv.)
往回拽或拉(某物) pull (sth) towards one
haul sth ⇔ in
They went down to the shore to watch the fishermen hauling in their nets.
- haul in one's horns (v.+adv.+n.)
减少活动; 有所收敛; 谨慎从事 be less keen or active, and more careful
- haul into (v.+prep.)
把(某物)拖进 drag sth into
haul sth into sth
The fishermen hauled the fish into the port.
- haul off (v.+adv.)
改变船的方向以躲避(某物); 拉走 change the direction (of a ship) in order to hedge sth; drag sth away
haul sb/sth ⇔ off
He told the chief officer to haul the ship off four points.
The protesters were hauled off to jail.
- haul on〔onto〕 the wind (v.+prep.+n.)
抢风驶船 pull the sails so that they lie near or in the same direction as the desired course, so as to sail closer to the wind
- haul out of (v.+adv.+prep.)
拖运出 drag sth out from sth
haul sth out of sth
Logs must be hauled out of the forest.
- haul over the coals (v.+prep.+n.)
为过错斥责某人 scold sb for a fault
haul sb over the coals
The director called Fair into his office to hauled him over the coals for being late so often.
He was hauled over the coals by the manager for his carelessness.
- haul up1 (v.+adv.)
haul sth ⇔ up
If we can get some strong ropes or wires around the sunken boat, we might be able to haul it up.
The log was hauled up by a crane.
木头被起重机吊起来。haul sb ⇔ up
〔说明〕 haul up作此解时常用于被动结构。
If we get caught with the jewels,I hope we're not hauled up before the same judge who dealt with us last time.
This is the second time that Matthew has been hauled up on a dangerous driving charge.
The child ran over and hauled up in front of me.
The boats hauled up at the pier.
- haul up2 (v.+prep.)
把(某物)拖上… lift; pull (sth) up
haul sb/sth up sth
They hauled the boat up the beach.
They had to fasten a rope round the man and hauled him up the cliff.
- haul daily 日常地运送
- haul economically 经济地运送
- haul painfully 令人痛心地传讯
- haul professionally 专业运送
- haul speedily 快速地拉
- haul around 转变
- haul away 拉走
- haul down 降低,把(重物)搬下
- haul down one's flag 投降
- haul in an anchor 起锚
- haul in one's horns 退缩,克制自己
- haul in a net 收网
- haul in a rope 收起绳索
- haul off 改变船的方向以躲避(某物),撤退,缩手准备出击
- haul round 转变
- haul up 拖上来,传讯,迎风行船,船停下
- haul at a rope 拉绳子
- haul coal from the mines to the city 把煤从煤矿拉到城里
- haul on〔to〕 the wind 抢风驶船
- haul sb over the coals 斥责某人
- haul sb to a football match 硬拉某人去看一场足球赛
- haul sth up the beach 把某物拖到岸上
- haul sb up before a magistrate 把某人送上法庭
- give a haul 拉一下
- rail haul 铁路运输
An aged ferry steamer whose normal run was only the short haul between Malta and Syracuse.出自： R. Sutcliff
She clutched the banisters and hauled herself upstairs.出自： V. Woolf
- haul后接at或on〔upon〕表示用力拉某物; 后接up表示把某物拖上来; 后接down表示把某物拉下去。
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语的halen，意为拖，拉。