- [U]艰难,困苦 severe suffering or discomfort
- [C]艰难情况 circumstance causing this
a state of misfortune or affliction;
"debt-ridden farmers struggling with adversity"
"a life of hardship"
something hard to endure;
"the asperity of northern winters"
something that causes or entails suffering;
"I cannot think it a hardship that more indulgence is allowed to men than to women"
"the many hardships of frontier life"
- We are ready to face any hardship.
- He will not shrink from any hardship.
- A strong man will bear hardship without complaining.
- His health broke after years of hardship.
- He was willing to face any hardship in fulfillment of his duty.
- To finish the task by himself will be a great hardship.
- My mother suffered all kinds of hardships throughout her life.
- bear〔endure〕 hardship 吃苦
- experience hardships 经历困苦
- face〔overcome〕 a hardship 面对〔克服〕困难
- fear hardship 怕苦
- suffer〔go through, undergo〕 hardship 受苦
For many scholars it is no hardship to sit indoors studying on a fine afternoon.出自： K. M. E. Murray
His body learnt to endure hardship.出自： N. Annan
- hardship, difficulty
- difficulty指必须付出大量的思考和运用技巧才能解决的困难; hardship用于抽象事物,指各种难以完成或处理的、需付出很大努力才能克服的麻烦,用于具体事物指疾病、贫穷等给人们带来的磨难。例如:
- That was a small matter after the hardships they had been through.经历过那么多磨难之后,这点事对他们来说就算不了什么了。