- An own-goal from Geli deep into extra-time clinched a sensational 5-4 victory courtesy of the Golden Goal rule and secured a unique cup treble for the Reds.
- England were not overawed by the South Americans' slick passing, though, and had a goal ruled out for offside when Michael Owen headed home Wayne Rooney's deft chip.
- Italy could already count on the 1-1 draw they earned in Budapest last Friday, but had no intention of playing for a goalless result that would see them through on the away goals rule.
- Had Eidur Gudjohnsen converted the late chance presented to him and sent Chelsea off to the Ataturk Stadium final on the away goals rule, the same would have applied for Chelsea too.
- He shouldered off a defender and shot at goal.
- The last goal evened up the score.