- n. 焦点；焦距；中心
- v. （使）集中；聚集
- vt. & vi. (使)集中 concentrate
- vt. & vi. 聚集于 come together at a focus; adjust an instrument, etc. so that it is in focus
- vt. & vi. 调整(镜头,眼睛)焦点或焦距以便看清 adjust (a lens, the eye, or lens-like device) to make a clear image
- [C]焦点,焦距; 中心 the point at which beams of light or heat or waves of sound meet after their direction has been changed; a center of attention
the concentration of attention or energy on something;
"the focus of activity shifted to molecular biology"
"he had no direction in his life"
maximum clarity or distinctness of an image rendered by an optical system;
"out of focus"
maximum clarity or distinctness of an idea;
"the controversy brought clearly into focus an important difference of opinion"
a central point or locus of an infection in an organism;
"the focus of infection"
special emphasis attached to something;
"the stress was more on accuracy than on speed"
a point of convergence of light (or other radiation) or a point from which it diverges
a fixed reference point on the concave side of a conic section
direct one's attention on something;
"Please focus on your studies and not on your hobbies"
cause to converge on or toward a central point;
"Focus the light on this image"
bring into focus or alignment; to converge or cause to converge; of ideas or emotions
become focussed or come into focus;
"The light focused"
put (an image) into focus;
"Please focus the image; we cannot enjoy the movie"
- He always wants to be the focus of attention.
- He took out the binoculars and adjusted the focus.
- The main focus of this manual is the management of fresh ground water resources.
- The noise made it hard for me to focus on work.
- He focused the sun's rays on the paper with a burning glass.
- A defect of vision prevented him from focusing accurately.
- He must be very tired today, he doesn't seem to focus at all.
- He focuses the lens of a microscope.
- His eyes were so tired that he had difficulty focusing it.
- Unless the object is properly focused the photograph will be blurred.
- The camera has two focuses.
- She was the focus of everyone's attention.
- He is adjusting the focus of camera.
- The coffee shop is the focus of social life in French.
- focus on (v.+prep.)
把…作为兴趣中心 like sth most
focus on sth
A near-sighted person cannot focus accurately on distant objects.
一个近视的人不能够准确地调节眼睛以看到远处物体。focus sth on sth
He focused the sun's rays on a paper with a burning-glass.
If you focus bright sunlight on dry wood with a glass, it will start burning.
假如你用镜子将强烈的阳光聚焦于干燥的木头上,它便会燃烧起来。focus on sth/v-ing
Today we're going to focus on the question of homeless people.
Many firms are focusing on increasing their markets overseas.
许多商行都在注意在国外扩大市场。focus sth on sb/sth
He focused his mind on his lessons.
You should focus your attention on your work.
We must focus our attention on the question of reducing costs.
When the coin failed to appear, attention was focused once more on poor Lebeau.
All eyes were focused on him when he came in.
他进来时大家都注视着他。focus on sth/v-ing
Today, we're going to focus on the relationship between freedom and necessity.
This year our meeting focuses on the question of children's rights.
The show focuses on making fun of politicians.
- focus one's attention 集中注意力
- focus one's efforts 集中精力
- focus the lens of a microscope 调节显微镜的镜片
- focus one's thoughts 集中思想
- focus on〔upon〕 使集中于焦点,使集中在…上; 强调,着重
- focus on the interaction between 着重说明…之间的相互作用
- focus on a problem 集中在某个问题上
- focus the camera on 把照相机的焦点对准…
- focus the sun's rays on 使阳光聚焦于…
- the focus of sth 某物的中心
The orbit of a planet..is a broad ellipse in which the sun is..at one focus.出自： J. Bronowski
I raised the beam of my flashlight.., I focused it..on the hole in the yellow ceiling.出自： R. Bradbury
Guy tilted forward his glasses and tried to focus the spectacle before him.出自： O. Manning
He took a little time to focus his eyes properly and decide who I was.出自： C. Achebe
Electrons can be focussed into narrow beams by electrostatic or magnetic lenses.出自： H. M. Rosenberg
I focused much of my distemper on London: I noticed only its bad qualities.出自： C. Priest
- focus用作及物动词时,可以接望远镜、焦点等作宾语,也可以接阳光等作宾语,还可以接目光等作宾语。focus用于比喻作“致力于”解时,则可以接mind, attention等作宾语。
- focus on sth表示“集中于某事”；
- focus, centre, centralize, concentrate
- 这组词的共同意思是“集中”。其区别在于:centre强调事或物所集中的那个中心点; focus强调同类事物汇集在一点上,融成一体; centralize则用于那些能集中又能分散的事或物,尤指集中权力或类似的东西; concentrate强调人类为达到目的而采用的技巧和方法、纪律及为此所做出的努力。例如:
- The conversation was centred on the election.会谈的中心问题是选举。
- The troops concentrated near the station.部队集结在车站附近。
- He focused the sun's ray on a piece of paper with a burning-glass.他用一面凸透镜把阳光在纸上集成焦点。
- She is trying to centralize all power into her own hands.她力图把所有权力集中在自己手中。
- ☆ 17世纪40年代进入英语，直接源自古典拉丁语的focus，意为炉床，壁炉。