- vt. 喂养；饲养；靠 ... 为生；向 ... 提供
- vi. 吃饲料；进餐
- n. 一餐；饲料；饲养
- vt. & vi. 喂养,吃; 以…为食 give food to; eat
- vt. & vi. (向…)提供 supply
- [C]一顿,一餐 meal, usually for animals or babies
- [U]饲料 food for animals
food for domestic livestock
provide as food;
"Feed the guests the nuts"
give food to;
"Feed the starving children in India"
"don't give the child this tough meat"
feed into; supply;
"Her success feeds her vanity"
"feed carrots into a food processor"
support or promote;
"His admiration fed her vanity"
take in food; used of animals only;
"This dog doesn't eat certain kinds of meat"
"What do whales eat?"
serve as food for; be the food for;
"This dish feeds six"
move along, of liquids;
"Water flowed into the cave"
"the Missouri feeds into the Mississippi"
profit from in an exploitatory manner;
"He feeds on her insecurity"
"feed one's eyes on a gorgeous view"
provide with fertilizers or add nutrients to;
"We should fertilize soil if we want to grow healthy plants"
- Will you feed my cat for me?
- What do you feed the poultry on?
- They feed on plankton, the sea's drifting life.
- Dor locate flying insects on which they feed.
- He has to work hard to feed and clothe his family.
- Birds feed on worms and grains.
- How many feeds a day does this dog get?
- They usually feed a moist mash to fowls.
- There are farm animals you can see and feed here.
- More grain is going to feed cattle.
- Why are giraffes the cheapest to feed?
- The horses were feeding quietly in the field.
- Have you fed yet?
- They would work till midnight without feeding.
- What time do we feed?
- We determined to feed only once a day at a restaurant.
- We feed at one o'clock each day.
- She was feeding a baby at the breast.
- We had to feed one hundred and twenty guests after the meeting.
- Can that patient feed himself?
- The nurse is feeding the patient by means of a spoon.
- The farmers grew too little to feed even their own families.
- Three acres of wheat will feed many people.
- He fed Mrs. Maylie's birds.
- Don't feed the dog from the table.
- The pasture fed the cows poorly.
- These plants feed oxygen.
- The farmers are looking for what would feed their soul.
- Most adults do stop feeding their minds.
- He fed his desire for revenge.
- She fed her feeling of indignation.
- He hurried to another hospital to borrow a machine which he hoped it would feed the oxygen automatically.
- He is to feed the comedian.
- Two rivers feed the reservoir.
- There are many lakes and rivers which feed the Congo.
- He kept feeding the tall center forward.
- Have the pigs been fed yet?
- I always come here when I want to be well fed.
- The lake is fed by three rivers.
- Some people think intelligence is fed by reading.
- You may feed him anything you like.
- They are feeding their horses potatoes.
- She thought the man was feeding her all kinds of nonsense.
- Parents should not feed their children unhealthy ideas.
- Silkworms are fed mulberry leaves.
- Feed the grain to the chickens.
- You fed these turnips to the rabbits.
- Farmers feed kitchen waste to the pigs.
- Reporters all over the world feed the news to the radio station.
- When you are in danger of losing it feed the ball to another player.
- Some of the first Christians were fed to the lions.
- We stopped to let the horse have a feed.
- He gave his dog a feed of bones.
- Give the baby two biscuits at a feed.
- Mary seems to be having a good feed over there in the corner!
- I bought a bag of bird feed.
- The baby has four feeds a day.
- Eels have been on the feed in the Lower Thames.
- There are two bags of cat feed on the table.
- We must get a fresh supply of chicken feed.
- They're growing crops for use as animal feed.
- There isn't enough feed left for the hens.
- About 20 million tons of feed grain were imported last year.
- The new feed can fatten the chicken up quickly enough for market.
- feed back (v.+adv.)
反过来起促进作用 return as feed-back; affect or modify the process that bring it about
feed back (to sb/sth)
The teacher found that nothing was feeding back to him from his pupils.
那位教师发觉学生们对他的讲解毫无反应。feed sth ⇔ back (to sb/sth)
The college often feeds back information on students' performances at college to their parents.
The salesman fed back information to the firm about its sales.
Part of the output of an amplifier can be fed back to get rid of sound distortion.
The information is fed back to the appropriate government department.
这个信息被反馈给政府的有关部门。feed back to〔into〕 sth
The experience from the teaching of English to foreign learners is feeding back to the teaching profession in Britain.
A lot of ideas are feeding back from the applied sciences into the pure sciences.
A lot of ideas are feeding back from agriculture into botany.
农业方面的许多概念正反过来对植物学起促进作用。feed sth ⇔ back
The machine feeds back everything you need to know.
- feed in (v.+adv.)
送进 introduce steadily
feed sth ⇔ in
He fed the tape in.
If you feed the data in, you will get the analysis a few minutes later.
You feed in the money here and the coffee comes out there.
- feed into (v.+prep.)
送入; 装进 move into
feed into sth
The river feeds into the Pacific Ocean.
These small rivers feed into the lake.
这些小河都流入此湖。feed into sth
Oil feeds into an engine.
The wire feeds into a conduit.
The bullets will soon feed into the machine gun.
这些子弹马上要装入机枪。feed sth into sth
Having fed kerosene into the lamp, he lit it up.
This electricity is then fed into the electricity grid system.
The information and question are fed into the computer, which then supplies the answer.
- feed off (v.+prep.)
靠…为生; 靠…维持 use as a source or supplier of food, materials, energy, etc.
- feed on (v.+prep.)
从…中得到增强〔满足〕 become strengthened from sth; gain satisfaction from sth
feed on sth
People in the South feed mostly on rice.
You had better feed on coarse cereals for a time.
Sheep chiefly feed on grass.
Certain animals feed on insects.
The tiger feeds on flesh.
This power station feeds on gas.
The gas turbine feeds on the fuel it pumps.
燃气轮机以它所泵入的燃料为能源。feed sb/sth on sth
We feed our dog on fresh meat.
They feed their cat on fish.
他们用鱼喂猫。feed on sth
The eyes feed on beautiful objects.
His convictions feed on determination.
The public feeds on these periodicals.
The reason for this is that technology feeds on itself.
He feeds on hope.
The young pop singer fed on the admiration from the public.
- feed out (v.+adv.)
供应; 提供 furnish for use
- feed up (v.+adv.)
不高兴; 讨厌; 腻了 be in low spirits; be tired of sth/sb
You must feed up to grow strong.
There are thousands of children in the slum who need feeding up.
He looks half starved and wants feeding up.
他看上去一副忍饥挨饿的样子,需要多吃点东西。feed sb up with sb/sth
John feeds everyone up with his constant appeals for help.
I am fed up with this wet weather.
I am fed up with his laziness and carelessness.
People get fed up with anyone who brags all the time.
If you put heart and soul into the work, you wouldn't be feeling fed up with the job anyway.
如果你把心思都集中在工作上,你无论如何也不会对这项工作感到厌倦。feed up (with) v-ing
I'm fed up (with) waiting for him.
I'm fed up with her grumbling.
I was getting a little fed up with his smacking his lips while eating.
The old couple is never fed up with going to the same park every day.
这对老夫妻每天都去同一个公园,从不腻烦。feed sb up that-clause
Mother will be a bit fed up that you didn't telephone.
- feed with (v.+prep.)
给…添加,提供(某物); 用(某物)满足… fill, supply, or satisfy (sth/sb) with (sth)
feed sb/sth with sth
She was feeding the baby with porridge.
The children were feeding the monkey with bananas.
They fed it with egg yolk and other nutritious foods.
You feed the machine with this special paper on a roll.
Education does not mean merely feeding the students with facts.
Her job is to stand at the side of the stage and feed the actors with their lines when they forget them.
His father feeds him with hopes.
The market has to be fed with an endless supply of goods.
- chicken feed
小额钱币 a little amount
- off one's feed
厌食,身体不适 have no taste in food; feel ill
- feed animals 喂动物
- feed data 提供资料
- feed information 提供信息
- feed lake 流入湖泊
- feed materials 提供材料
- feed one's face 吃饭
- feed one's family 养家糊口
- feed power 供电
- feed reservoir 流入水库
- feed river 流入河流
- feed sea 流入海洋
- feed the chicken 喂小鸡
- feed artfully 巧妙地喂养
- feed back 反应,反响,反馈
- feed beneficially 有益地喂养
- feed carefully 小心地喂养
- feed consistently 一贯地供养
- feed continually 持续地供养
- feed delicately 以美食喂养
- feed dietetically 以有营养的食物喂养
- feed heavily 大量地吃
- feed high 吃得又多又好
- feed in 送进,输入,插入
- feed poorly 吃得不好,粗茶淡饭
- feed regularly 正常地供用
- feed scientifically 科学地喂养
- feed serenely 无忧无虑地喂养
- feed sparingly 节俭地供用
- feed sumptuously 大量地喂养
- feed up the children 给这些孩子增加些营养
- feed up 供给…营养,养肥
- feed voraciously 贪婪地喂养
- feed well 吃得好
- feed from 来自
- feed into 流入,把…送给〔送进〕…
- feed into the machine 把…送进机器里
- feed off 向…觅食,从…中取食
- feed off a big plate 吃大盘子里的东西
- feed on 用…喂养,以…为食物,靠吃…过活,以…为生
- feed on vegetable diet 吃素
- feed with 用…供给,用…喂
- automatic feed 〈机〉自动进口,自动进给
- enough feed 足够的饲料
- full feed 足量的喂食
- good feed 美餐
- granulated feed 颗粒饲料
- green feed 绿色饲料
- little feed 很少的饲料
- bird feed 鸟饲料
- chicken feed 鸡饲料,低微的薪水,零钱
- clockwork feed 钟表的发条
- cylinder feed 气缸进气
- livestock feed 家畜饲料
- paste feed 糊状饲料
- petrol feed 汽油进料
- poultry feed 高蛋白家禽饲料
- feed grains 饲料谷物
- feed for 作为…的饲料
Turnips for next year's winter feed.出自： M. Shadbolt
Tom shall feed us on eggs and milk.出自： E. M. Forster
- feed的基本意思是“喂食”“吃”,适用于人、动物或植物。引申可用于一切消耗外界物质以维持其自身生命的东西,作“使满足; 助长; 激励; 注入”解。
- feed up可表示“腻了,厌烦”,后接名词、代词时须用with,接动名词时with用不用均可,接从句时不用with。
She feeds the cat on fish.
She feeds the cat with fish.
She feeds fish to the cat.
She feeds the cat fish.
- feed off, feed on
- feed off中的feed只用作不及物动词,表示进食者“从…中取食”; 而在feed on中feed可用作及物动词,表示“以…喂…”, feed的宾语是受食者, on的宾语是食物。
- feed, eat
- 1.用作及物动词时, eat的主语多为人,偶尔可为动物(拟人化),宾语为食物; feed的主语一定为人,宾语为动物或者是老弱病残者。例如:
- We ate much the same thing for breakfast every day.每天早餐我们总是吃这些同样的东西。
- The nurse is feeding the patient by means of a spoon.护士在用汤匙给病人喂饭。
- 2.用作不及物动词时, eat的主语可为人,也可为食物(这时主语含有被动意义); feed的主语则为动物。例如:
- This kind of mushroom is eaten cooked.这种蘑菇是炒熟了吃的。
- The horses were feeding quietly in the field.马群在田野里悄悄地吃着东西。
- 3.eat只接简单宾语, feed除接简单宾语外,还可接双宾语,而eat不能接双宾语。例如:
- You may feed them anything you like.你喜欢喂它们什么就喂什么。
- feed on, leave on
- feed, graze, nourish, pasture
- feed指给人以饮食或给动物以饲料,也可指供给植物养料或给机器加燃料等,含义最广; nourish指施以健康、生长必需的养料。例如:
- They needed good food to nourish their bodies.他们需要好食品滋养身体。
- The old man was pasturing his sheep on the village common.老人在村庄的公地上放羊。
- The boy got up very early every morning to pasture cattle.这男孩每天起得很早去放牛。
- They fed erroneous information to us.
- They fed us erroneous information.
- They fed us with erroneous information.
- feed, fodder
- feed是一般用语,泛指禽兽所食用的饲料; 而fodder常指喂牛、马、猪、羊等的粗饲料或干饲料,如苜蓿、干草等。例如:
- The stalks and leaves of corn are fodder.玉米的茎秆和叶子都是粗饲料。
误 My mother used to feed chickens.
正 My mother used to raise chickens.
析 表示喂养时, feed侧重于一次性动作; 而raise可表示经常性行为。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的fedan；最初源自原始日耳曼语的fothjanan，意为哺育，喂养。