- 预期，预料，预期某事， 有...期望
- 怀孕， 怀胎
- vt. 预计,预料 think or believe that sth will happen or that sb/sth will come
- vt. & vi. 期望,盼望,指望 hope and feel confident that one will receive sth (from sb)
- vt. 认为,想 believe; think
- regard something as probable or likely;
"The meteorologists are expecting rain for tomorrow"
- consider obligatory; request and expect;
"We require our secretary to be on time"
"Aren't we asking too much of these children?"
"I expect my students to arrive in time for their lessons"
- look forward to the probable occurrence of;
"We were expecting a visit from our relatives"
"She is looking to a promotion"
"he is waiting to be drafted"
- consider reasonable or due;
"I'm expecting a full explanation as to why these files were destroyed"
- look forward to the birth of a child;
"She is expecting in March"
- be pregnant with;
"She is bearing his child"
"The are expecting another child in January"
"I am carrying his child"
- He is expected to get through to the finals.
- At last they got the telegram they had been expecting.
You arrived earlier than I had expected.
He earned more than we had expected.
Crisis precipitated, as people expected.
It's not so bad as I expected.
As he expected, he has passed the entrance examination.
None of us expected it.
Dark clouds massed, and we expected rain.
I expect a storm.
Though they expected immediate death, they seemed without fear.
I'm expecting Tom any minute now.
I shall expect your opinion of it very soon.
They expect payment in five days.
With a face all smiles he told us that the village expected a good harvest.
Well, you can't expect perfection.
But we should not expect success overnight.
We're expecting a telegram.
My sister is expecting a baby during June.
His wife is expecting a baby.
Rain and thundershowers are expected in the southern plateau region.
The scientists expect to find a chemical cure for lung cancer within five years.
I expect to have read this book by next Tuesday.
The old man is seriously ill and not expected to live.
I expect to be back next Monday.
They expected to finish the work by Friday.
They expect to overfulfil their target.
When do you expect to be in?
I hardly expected to find you still here.
If you expect to enter college in the fall, you should apply now.
I expect to see him tomorrow.
How can you expect to make headway if you don't work hard?
He hopes he'll win the prize but he doesn't really expect to win it.
You cannot expect to turn the clock back.
When our visit to the farm was over, we expected to start back on foot.
This year the commune expects to increase the area of its salt fields to 45,000 mu.
今年乡里打算把盐场面积扩大到45,000 亩 。
He didn't expect to be looked down upon.
He expected to be forgiven.
I expect he will come tomorrow.
I expect I might as well be going.
I expect you're right.
I expect the train will be rather crowded.
I expect the book is a bit too difficult for you.
I expect it was a wrong number.
I expected he was there.
Judging from his appearance,I expect that he may be a Scandinavian.
I expect that they will have everything ready directly.
You would expect that there would be strong disagreement about this.
I expect that you will help him.
He never expected that those plans would come about.
I don't expect that it is true.
We don't expect that you would stay on here.
I had not expected that things should turn out like this.
It is expected that former Foreign Minister Von Brentano will return to the Cabinet.
It was expected by father that I should become an engineer.
“Will he be back tonight?” “I expect so.”
“Do you think we'll have good weather?” “I expect so.”
“Is he an engineer?” “I expect not.”
“Will it rain?” “I expect not.”
They expected steel production to reach 20 million tons.
I expected you to be here promptly.
She expected us to be waiting for her there.
I'm expecting you to telephone me.
The teacher expects us to work hard.
You really can't expect me to believe that.
We expect writers to produce more and better works.
England expects every man to do his duty.
Don't expect me to wait on you hand and foot, make your own breakfast.
I don't expect him to do impossibilities.
I don't expect them to behave perfectly but I do expect ordinary good manners.
We can't expect one to change the habits of a lifetime in a short time.
They are expected to take an uncompromising stand at the conference.
The Supreme Court is expected to uphold the death sentence.
At the championships more promising divers are expected to come to the fore.
Prices are expected to rise.
These mines are expected to go into production next year.
Industrial production is expected to increase by 6 per cent this year.
The thermometer is expected to reach 35°C this afternoon.
You're expected to write to us as soon as possible.
You are expected to finish it in time.
He is expected to put his work before his family.
The train arrived at the expected time.
- expect from (v.+prep.)
期望(某人做某事) hope and believe that sth usually good will be done by sb expect sth from sb
The professor expected respect from his students.教授期望得到学生的尊敬。
I was expecting a present from her, so I was disappointed I didn't receive one.我原来一直盼望能收到她送的礼物,所以因得不到而失望。
I am expecting a letter from him.我正在等他的来信。
The whole family expects great things from him.全家人都盼着他干出一番事业来。
Don't expect sudden improvements from this class.别指望这个班的学习成绩会突然好起来。
The general expects complete obedience from his men.这位将军要求他的士兵对他绝对服从。
I didn't expect such poor work from you.我不曾料想到你会把工作做得这么差。
期望过高 believe or assume sb can do more than he can expect too much from sb
We expect too much from him.我们对他寄予很大希望。
Aren't you expecting too much from your mother, leaving all your children with her while you go on holiday?你去度假而把孩子们都留给你母亲照料,你期望她干的事岂不太多了?
- 期望(某人做某事) hope and believe that sth usually good will be done by sb expect sth from sb
- expect of (v.+prep.)
期望(某人)会作出(某事) believe, hope and think that sb will do sth or one will receive sth considered as one's right expect sth of sb
There's no need to give me the money; I don't expect it of you.没有必要给我钱,我没指望你会给钱。
I wouldn't have expected such rudeness of her.我没想到她会这样粗鲁。用于 be ～ed 结构
We stood there, not knowing what was expected of us.我们站在那里,不知道会要求我们做什么。
Conscientiousness is expected of a student.学生要诚实。
期望过高 believe or assume sb can do more than he can expect too much of sb/sth
You are expecting too much of her.你对她的期望太大了。
The boy's parents expected too much of him, with the inevitable result that they were disappointed.这孩子的父母对他期望过高,随之不可避免的结果是他们失望了。
I cannot finish this job by Friday— you expect too much of me.我星期五以前不能完成这项工作——你对我期望太高了。
We didn't expect too much of him.我们对他并没有期望过高。
Don't expect too much of his idea.不要对他的主意期望过高。
- 期望(某人)会作出(某事) believe, hope and think that sb will do sth or one will receive sth considered as one's right expect sth of sb
- to be expected
可能发生,相当正常 likely to happen; quite normal
A little tiredness after taking these drugs is to be expected. 服下这些药后会有些疲倦。
It is to be expected your son will leave home eventually. 儿子终归要离开家,这种事情很正常。
- 可能发生,相当正常 likely to happen; quite normal
- expect a change 期待变化
- expect a fine Sunday 期待一个快乐的星期天
- expect a friend 期待朋友
- expect a friend's visit 期望一位朋友的来访
- expect a guest for lunch 等客人吃午饭
- expect a letter from home 等家信
- expect a pleasant vacation 期待愉快的假期
- expect a rise in demand 期待需求的增长
- expect a storm 期待暴风雨
- expect a telegram 等电报
- expect a telephone call 等电话
- expect aid 指望帮助
- expect aid from a friend 指望朋友的帮助
- expect an affirmative decision 期待肯定的决定
- expect an answer 期待回答
- expect good results 期待好结果
- expect good weather 盼望好天气
- expect great things 期望大事业
- expect guest 等客人
- expect hot day 盼望热天
- expect news 期待消息
- expect opinion of sth 希望听到对某事的意见
- expect sb's wishes 期待某人的祝福
- expect sincerity 指望得到真诚
- expect support from sb 期待得到某人的支持
- expect sympathy 指望得到同情
- expect the conclusion 期待结论
- expect the fast approach of Christmas 期待圣诞节快快到来
- expect anxiously 焦急地等待
- expect ardently 热切地期望
- expect breathlessly 无心期待
- expect confidentially 机密地抢先做
- expect confidently 满怀信心地期望
- expect eagerly 殷切期待
- expect early 早早地指望
- expect erroneously 错误地认为
- expect evidently 显然预料到
- expect fondly 盲目地等待
- expect fully 信心十足地期待
- expect gloomily 悲观地认为
- expect hardly 几乎未预料到
- expect hourly 随时期待
- expect impatiently 急不可耐地期待
- expect little 几乎不抱希望
- expect momentarily 短暂地期待
- expect mystically 秘密期待
- expect naturally 天真地期待
- expect plainly 坦率地认为
- expect presumptuously 傲慢地认为
- expect previously 先前地期待
- expect rationally 合理地认为
- expect really 真正地期待
- expect romantically expect 浪漫地想
- expect too much 期望太高
- expect tremulously 过分敏感地期望
- expect unreasonably 不理智地期待
- expect usually 通常地期待
- expect vaguely 盲目地认为
- expect vainly 白想
A Dog expects till his Master has done picking of the bone.出自：Henry More
- expect所接的that从句在表示“预料”“期望”时可用虚拟式,在作“想”“认为”解时可用陈述式, that有时可以省略。
- expect的宾语从句若是否定式,常可用于转移否定结构,即把否定词移至主句。但在对话中则既可采用I don't expect so的形式,也可采取I expect not的形式,后者为非正式的语体。
- expect of和expect from都可表示“指望”“期望”,意思相同,可互换使用。
- expect后接名词或代词时往往含有动作的意味,因此有时状语并不修饰expect,而是修饰隐含的不定式短语。例如:He expects to take a vacation in May. 他希望在5月休假。
- expect后接动词不定式充当补足语的复合宾语时,补语的不定式动词有时可以省略。例如:We expect him this afternoon.我们料他今天下午能来(to come可以省去,而this afternoon这个时间状语是修饰to come的,不是修饰expect的)。
- expect后也常接动词不定式的被动式,不定式短语与句子的主语构成逻辑上的动宾关系。例如:He expected to be taken care of.他期望得到照顾。
- be expecting sb/sth 可表示说话者深信某人会来或某事会发生。例如:Tom was expecting an important letter from France.汤姆在等一封来自法国的重要的信。
- expect, anticipate, look for, look forward to
这组词(组)的共同意思是“期待,等待”。其区别是：expect指“等待某事发生”,常有一定的根据,发生的可能性较大；anticipate含有“预先体味”的意味；look for是日常用词,也可表示“期待”；look forward to指以欢乐或焦急的心情期待某事发生。例如:I expect to see some fine films during the holidays.我期望假期能看上几部好电影。We anticipate that we shall hear from you again.我们预感到将会再接到你的信。I think we may look for a better result next time.我想下次结果可能会好一些。I'm looking forward to your visit.我期待着你的来访。
- expect, wait for
这两个词(组)的共同意思是“等待”。其区别是：expect指的是一种等待的心境,并非除此以外不干任何事情。例如:He is expecting a letter.他正在等一封信。wait for则强调动作本身,即不干别的事而专门等待。例如:“Why are you standing here?” “I am waiting for Mr. Green.”“你站在这儿干什么?”“我在等格林先生。”
- expect, await
这两个词都有“期待”的意思。其区别是：await 除了指希望之外,还暗示思想上做好了某事会发生的准备。而expect强调某事不论好坏必然发生。例如：She had reason to expect that the trip would be exciting. 她有理由以为这次施行该是令人兴奋的。We await your reply with interest. 我们极感兴趣地等待你的答复。
- expect, hope
这两个词均可表示对某事的实现持有信心,其含义的差别仅在于程度上:hope指持有一定的信心,而expect指持有高度的信心。在用法上, hope不可接名词、动名词作宾语,也不可接复合宾语; 而expect既可接名词、动名词作宾语,也可接复合宾语。
- I expect John to come to the meeting.
- 我希望约翰能来开会。 (表示简单的想法)
- I expect John will come to the meeting.
- 我期望约翰能来开会。 (如果他不来,就会对他生气或失望)
- What can you expect from him?
- What can you expect of him?
- I expect him to come.
误 She expects leaving tomorrow.
正 She expects to leave tomorrow.
误 I expect it won't rain later today.
正 I don't expect it will rain later today.
误 You arrived earlier than expecting.
正 You arrived earlier than expected.
误 Mother has been expecting you to come back for several days.
正 Mother has been expecting you for several days.
析 expect已有“盼望…(回)来”的意思,后面不必再用to come back。
- ☆ 1560年左右进入英语，直接源自拉丁语的expecare：ex (向） + specarte (看），意为向外看。
- expect:expect vt. 期待, 预期, 盼望, 指望, (料)想, 认为 英英解释:动词expect:1. regard something as probable or likely同义词：antic…