- [C]事件,大事 a happening, especially an important, interesting, or unusual one
- [C]运动项目 any of the race, competitions, etc. arranged as part of a day's sports
- something that happens at a given place and time
- a special set of circumstances;
"in that event, the first possibility is excluded"
"it may rain in which case the picnic will be canceled"
- a phenomenon located at a single point in space-time; the fundamental observational entity in relativity theory
- a phenomenon that follows and is caused by some previous phenomenon;
"the magnetic effect was greater when the rod was lengthwise"
"his decision had depressing consequences for business"
"he acted very wise after the event"
- It was quite an event when a woman first became prime minister.
- The new book was the cultural event of the year.
- Don't get caught up in this event.
- This article discussed the events that led to her suicide.
- Jeff: Wang Ping, What is the sports event that catches the most attention in China?
Next day the newspapers reported the event .
The news of the event was given out over the radio.
Isn't this an astonishing event?
It was quite an event when a woman first became prime minister.
This is a great event that concerns the future of our company.
It is often difficult to discern the truth of an event from a newspaper report.
This is one of the chief events of this year.
Most citizens do not get caught up in local events.
Events proved the folly of such calculations.
All events have borne out the correctness of this appraisal.
Two events received public attention during the month.
My opinion was affected by the recent development of events.
Shakespeare always introduced some comic events into his tragedies.
The authorities were unable to control events .
The developments of events bore out what he had said.
We had an animated discussion over current events last evening.
She equalled the world record for women's standard pistol event.
Which events is he going in for at the Olympics ?
Which events have you entered for?
- at all events〔in any event〕
不管发生什么事; 在任何情况下; 无论如何 whatever happens; in any case
He is not clever,but at all events he works well. 他并不聪明,但不管怎样他做得很好。
She had a terrible accident, but at all events she wasn't killed. 她遇到了可怕的情况,但无论怎样,她没有死。
- 不管发生什么事; 在任何情况下; 无论如何 whatever happens; in any case
- be wise after the event
事后聪明的,事后诸葛亮 know too late what one should have done
I shouldn't have put that extra spoonful of curry powder in this meal, but I suppose we can all be wise after the event. 我不应该在这顿饭里多放那一汤匙的咖喱粉,我想我们都是事后才明白的。
- 事后聪明的,事后诸葛亮 know too late what one should have done
- in either event
无论发生哪件事 whichever (of two things) happens
I don't know whether I'm going by car or by train, but in either event I'll need money. 我不知道坐汽车还是坐火车去,不管是哪种情况,我都需要钱。
- 无论发生哪件事 whichever (of two things) happens
- in that event
如果那种情况发生,如果是那样的话 if that happens
You could be right, and in that event they'll have to pay you back. 可能是你对,如果那样的话,他们就得把钱还给你。
- 如果那种情况发生,如果是那样的话 if that happens
- in the end
All will turn out well in the end. 一切终究都会好起来的。
- 最终；终于;到头来eventually; ultimately
- in the event
结果,到头来 as it in fact happened; as it turned out
We were afraid he would be nervous on stage, but in the event he performed beautifully. 我们担心他在舞台上会紧张,但事实上他表演得很好。
- 结果,到头来 as it in fact happened; as it turned out
- in the event of
万一,倘若 if sth happens
In the event of rain,the party will be held indoors. 万一下雨,聚会将在室内举行。
In the event of fire,ring the alarm-bell. 如果着火,就按警铃。
The air bag would inflate in event of a collision to cushion front seat passengers. 如果发生撞车,气袋会充气涨开保护前座的乘客。
- 万一,倘若 if sth happens
- in the normal course of events
按照事物自然发生的程序 as things happen
There is a very mixed entry for the competition this year, but in the normal course of events the best two players finish up in the final. 今年参加比赛的人各种各样,但是按照程序最好的两名选手将结束决赛。
- 按照事物自然发生的程序 as things happen
- arrange an event 安排一项活动
- celebrate an event 庆祝某一事件
- commemorate an event 纪念某一事件
- control event 控制局势
- describe an event 描述事件
- enter for an event 参加一项比赛
- mark an event 纪念〔庆祝〕一个事件
- miss the event 错过某一活动
- remember an event 记得那件事
- brilliant event 光辉的经历
- central event 中心事件,主要的事件
- chief event 大事
- great event 大事件
- happy event 愉快的事情,愉快的经历
- historical event 历史事件
- important event 要事
- interesting event 有趣的事情〔经历〕
- international event 国际事件
- key event 关键事件
- main event 主要事件
- major event 主要事件
- national event 国家大事
- ordinary event 普通的事件
- outstanding event 突出的事情
- past events 过去的事情,往事
- political event 政治事件
- present event 时事
- public event 众所周知的事件
- recent event 最近发生的事件
- social event 社会活动
- special event 特别事件,特殊的事情
The events reported in the newspapers seemed too incredible to be taken seriously.出自：V. Brittain
The fountain playing was an event; it had been turned off all through the war.出自：V. Glendinning
在美式英语中,in the event后接that从句,表示“如果”。而在英式英语中则和but连用,表示“结果”。例如:
In the event that he has not been told,I will tell him.(AmE)如果还没有人告诉他,我去告诉他。We set out for the seaside,but in the event never go there.(BrE)我们出发去海边,但结果始终没有到达 那儿。
- event, accident, incident
这组名词的共同意思是“事件”,其区别是：1.accident是偶然发生的; incident是附属于偶发事件的; 而event则不一定是偶然的。2.accident在没有happy, lucky这类词修饰时,多指不幸事件; 而incident和event则不一定是不幸的。3.incident指日常小事或不太重要的事件; 而accident则多指涉及人命的大事,但不用于政治事件。试比较下面两句:
4.event也可指日常小事,但主要指重要的事件(国家的、社会的、边界的等)。例如:This is one of the chief events of this year.这是本年度大事之一。
- Being late for school is an incident, not an accident.
- Being hit by a car is an accident, not an incident.被汽车撞了是大事故,不是 小事情。
- Accidents are becoming incidents on this railway.这条铁路上事故已成家常便饭。
- It was a frontier incident.这是一次边境事件。
- event, fact
两者区别在于:1.fact的意思是“事实”,以区别于想象或虚构的事物。例如:Most of his ideas can be rendered down to a system of thinking based on outdated facts.他的大多数观点都可归纳在一个基于过时的论据的思想体系里。2.event也可指日常小事,但主要指重要的事件(国家的、社会的、边界的等)。例如:It was quite an event when a woman first became prime minister.妇女首次当上了首相的确是件大事。Two events received public attention during the month.这一个月中有两件大事引起了公众的注意。Events proved the folly of such calculations.事情的进展证明了这种估计是愚蠢的。
- ☆ 16世纪70年代进入英语，直接源自中古法语v的eent；最初源自古典拉丁语v的eenire：ex (出） + venire (来），意为发生的事，结果。
- event:event （事件）所有的行为，这些行为通常由用户或ActiveX控件产生，程序可能对其作出反应。或EDA中的事件标识。 相关条目…