- A harsh double coat is absolutely necessary.
- The Kuvasz has a double coat, formed by guard hair and fine undercoat.
- Micro-adjusted lubricators can procvide an even double coat of lubrication to greatly improve the service life of die.
- The Pyr has a heavy, primarily white double coat, that consists of a soft undercoat combined with a thicker outer coat.
- They have a double coat: a soft, downy undercoat that keeps them dry and warm in cold water and a hard outer coat that helps them repel water.
- The American Eskimo Dog has a stand-off, double coat consisting of a dense undercoat and a longer coat of guard hair growing through it to form the outer coat.