- [C][U]死,死亡,死亡时刻; 死法; 死状 the end of the life; time or manner of dying
- [C]死因 the cause of loss of life
- [S]毁灭,消失,终止 destruction or disappearance
- [U]死神 the destroyer of life
- the event of dying or departure from life;
"her death came as a terrible shock"
"upon your decease the capital will pass to your grandchildren"
- the permanent end of all life functions in an organism or part of an organism;
"the animal died a painful death"
- the absence of life or state of being dead;
"he seemed more content in death than he had ever been in life"
- the time when something ends;
"it was the death of all his plans"
"a dying of old hopes"
- the time at which life ends; continuing until dead;
"she stayed until his death"
"a struggle to the last"
- the personification of death;
"Death walked the streets of the plague-bound city"
- a final state;
"he came to a bad end"
"the so-called glorious experiment came to an inglorious end"
- the act of killing;
"he had two deaths on his conscience"
- The seedling was frozen to death.
- The farm came to him on his father's death.
- The film ends with the death of the heroine.
- Car accidents caused many deaths.
- He had to choose between death and dishonour.
- That defeat meant the death of all my hopes.
- The policeman wanted to determine her death.
Death comes to all men.
All men must die, but death can vary in its significance.
Her death was a real grief.
His wife's death was a great blow to him.
The alternatives are death and submission.
He was willing to risk death to save his friend.
The Supreme Court is expected to uphold the death sentence.
After death, the king's body was interred in a specially constructed tomb.
The sick man is in danger of death.
March 6 is the date of his death.
The news of his death filled her with despair.
She described how she had narrowly escaped death.
If their identity should be discovered, it would mean sure death.
They avenged his death by burning the village.
The worker was scalded to death when the boiler exploded.
The chief of the police force spread the word that he would put to death all the arrested student representatives.
Jack was sentenced to death for murdering his wife.
Drink will be the death of him.
Oh, don't make me laugh any more or you'll be the death of me.
The protest will die a slow death.
Death is often shown in pictures as a human skeleton.
- as pale as death
面无人色 very pale
The two hostages looked as pale as death when they were released by the terrorists after being held for six months. 这两个人质被关押了6个月,恐怖分子释放他们时,他们看上去面无人色。
- 面无人色 very pale
- at death's door
He seemed to be at death's door from his illness. 他似乎病得要死了。
We were very distressed to hear that our favourite aunt was at death's door. 听说我们最热爱的姑妈快要死了,我们感到非常悲痛。
- 就要死掉 dying
- be sick to death of
对…极厌倦 feel very tired about sth
I'm sick to death of your complaints. 我对你的抱怨厌烦透了。
- 对…极厌倦 feel very tired about sth
- catch one's death
得致命的感冒 catch a chill bad cold
Put on a coat if you are going out in the snow or you'll catch your death. 如果你打算冒风雪外出的话,请穿上外套,要不然你会得重感冒的。
Don't stand out in the cold like that—you'll catch your death! 天那么冷,别呆在外面,你会得重伤风的!
Johnny fell in icy water and almost caught his death of a cold. 约翰尼掉进冰水里得重感冒差一点一命呜呼。
- 得致命的感冒 catch a chill bad cold
- dice with death
冒生命危险 risk on life
You're dicing with death by driving that car so fast. 你把车开得那么快简直在找死。
The policeman diced with death as he chased the criminal across the rooftops. 这个警察冒着生命危险跨越屋顶追捕罪犯。
- 冒生命危险 risk on life
- die the death
突然停止 stop suddenly
After getting bad reviews the play quickly died the death. 受到贬评之后,该剧就突然停演了。
- 突然停止 stop suddenly
- do to death
把…重复得令人厌烦 overdo; overexpose do sth to death
The television companies have done to death the coverage of the election,I'm tired of it already.电视公司把选举的报道重复得令人生厌,我早已感到厌倦了。
I used to like that song once, but now it's been done to death; every singer has made a record of it.我过去一直很喜欢那首歌,可现在它老是重复着唱令人生厌; 每一个歌手都录制了这首歌。
- 把…重复得令人厌烦 overdo; overexpose do sth to death
- feel like death warmed up
感到筋疲力尽 feel exhausted
I was at a party till three o'clock this morning and I still feel like death warmed up. 今天早晨3点我才离开聚会场地,因而我仍然感到筋疲力尽。
- 感到筋疲力尽 feel exhausted
- in at the death
看到事情的结局 present at the very end
I've worked on this project for nearly three years and with only two weeks to go I'm determined to be in at the death. 为这个项目我已经工作3年,还剩下仅有的两个星期,我决心看到项目的完成。
Did they finally decide to dismiss the workers?—Yes,I was in at the death when the employers had their meeting last night. 他们最后是否决定解雇这些工人了?——是的,昨晚那些雇主开会时我在场。
- 看到事情的结局 present at the very end
- put to death
处死,杀死 kill put sb to death
The blood-sucker was put to death by the peasants there and then.噬血的资本家立即被农民杀掉了。
- 处死,杀死 kill put sb to death
- tickle to death
非常高兴 highly amused tickle sb to death
We were all tickled to death at the antics of the clowns.看到小丑的滑稽动作,我们乐极了。
- 非常高兴 highly amused tickle sb to death
- to death
I am sick to death of your complaints. 我对你的抱怨听得烦死了。
I see you are tired to death. 我看你累得要死。
- 极其,非常 very
- to the death
到底,至死 until sb is defeated or killed
With only two rounds to go, both boxers were determined to fight to the death. 仅剩下两局了,两位拳击手决心打到底。
The boy said that he would stand by his mate to the death. 那孩子说他将至死支持他的伙伴。
- 到底,至死 until sb is defeated or killed
- work to death
把…累垮; 把…损坏 force sb/sth to work excessively work sb/sth to death
The company expects hard work, but refuses to work its employees to death.公司要求工作勤奋,但不想把雇员累垮。
The engine had been worked to death and was in need of major repairs.这个引擎已被用坏了,需要大修。
- 把…累垮; 把…损坏 force sb/sth to work excessively work sb/sth to death
- announce the death of 宣告…逝世
- avenge the death of 为…的死报仇
- bring death 带来死亡
- catch one's death of 患致命的…
- cause death 造成死亡
- die a dog's death 惨死,可耻地死去,潦倒而死
- die a hero's death 英勇牺牲
- die a natural death 寿终正寝
- die a slow death 慢慢平息
- do sb to death 杀死某人
- drink oneself to death 喝得醉死过去
- escape death 幸免于死
- face death 面对死亡
- fear death 怕死
- fight to the death 战斗到底,战死
- have a happy death 幸福地死去
- meet death 面临死亡
- mourn sb's death 沉痛哀悼…的逝世
- put sb to death 处死某人
- receive death at sb's hand 自寻短见
- suffer death 遭受死亡
- stone sb to death 用石头砸死某人
- brave death 勇敢的死
- certain death 无可避免的死亡
- cruel death 惨死
- early death 早逝,夭折,夭亡
- happy death 幸福的死
- inglorious death 可耻的死
- living death 活地狱
- many deaths 许多死亡
- natural death 老死,因年老而死
- sure death 必然的死亡
- the Black D- 黑死病
- brain death 脑死亡
- at death 逝世时
- by the death of sb 由于某人的逝世
- in death as in life 虽死犹生
- in the death of sb 由于某人的逝世
- in the hour of sb's death 在某人逝世的时刻
- day of death 死期
- point of death 死亡的边缘
- to the death 至死,到底
- until death 终生
The Greek did not believe death to be annihilation.出自：J. R. Seeley
My mother's untimely death.出自：Day Lewis
The hideous death designed by the law for traitors.出自：C. V. Wedgwood
Over them triumphant Death his Dart Shook; but delaid to strike.出自：personified
Into the jaws of Death..Rode the six hundred.出自：Tennyson
- death的基本意思是“死,死亡”,也可表示“死亡时刻; 死法; 死状”“死因”,既可用作可数名词,也可用作不可数名词。
- to death, to the death
两者意思不同:前者作“十分”“很”解; 而后者是“直到死; 到最后”的意思。
误 The collision resulted in three death.
正 The collision resulted in three deaths.
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语ed的th；最初源自古英语ed的ath，意为死。
- death:组建时间：1983解散时间：1998风格类型： Death Metal/Black Metal Grindcore Heavy Metal Heavy Metal Progressive Metal…