- [P]牛(总称),牲口 animals with horns and cloven hoofs such as cows, bulls and bullocks, bred for their milk or meat; oxen
domesticated bovine animals as a group regardless of sex or age;
"so many head of cattle"
"wait till the cows come home"
"seven thin and ill-favored kine"
"a team of oxen"
- There is much forage for the cattle.
- There are many herds of cattle in the meadow.
- Clover can be grown as food for cattle.
- He lives on a farm, so he knows a lot about cattle.
- We wintered our cattle in the warm valley.
- Those poor soldiers died like cattle, without a struggle.
- Cattle feed on grass.
- Cattle are selling for record prices this year.
- The cattle broke into the wheat fields and did much damage.
- The cattle huddled together in a corner of the field, trying to keep dry.
- He has thirty head of cattle on the farm.
- The cattle were driven down the hill.
- The driver drove the cattle from the field.
- The little boy was herding all the cattle for this farm.
- We have branded our cattle.
- The cattle banded together for protection from the wind.
- The cowboys herded the cattle and drove them to market.
- They breed cattle for the market.
- The prisoners were herded like cattle.
- My father attended to cattle.
- Tom has a cattle ranch in California.
- All the farm workers had to help to haul the bags of cattle food down from the cart.
- keep cattle
养牛〔牲口〕 raise the cattle
- trade in cattle
贩牛〔牲口〕 deal in cattle
- breed cattle 养牛
- buy cattle 买牛,买牲口
- drive cattle 赶牛,赶牲口
- exchange cattle 换牛
- feed cattle 饲养牛
- handle cattle 驯养牲口
- lead cattle 牵牛
- own cattle 拥有牲口
- pen cattle 把牲口〔牛,家畜〕关入栏内
- protect cattle 保护牲口〔牛,家畜〕
- raise cattle 养牛
- rear cattle 饲养牲口〔牛〕
- rope cattle 套捕牲口
- round up the cattle 把牛赶到一块
- sell cattle 卖牲口,卖牛
- fat cattle 肥胖的牲口〔牛〕
- female cattle 雌性牛
- horned cattle 长角的牲畜〔牛〕
- male cattle 雄性牛
- short-horned cattle 短角的牲畜〔牛〕
- young cattle 幼牛
- cattle以单数形式出现,却表示复数的概念。cattle是集合名词,不能加不定冠词a,词尾也不可加s,常和many, few, these, those等连用。用作主语时，句子的谓语动词多用复数。
- 表示“一头牛”可说one head of cattle,“五头牛”说five head of cattle,在指多头牛时head of也可省去。表示“一群牛”应该用a herd of cattle或herds of cattle。
- ☆ 13世纪中期进入英语，直接源自英国法语的catel；最初源自古法语的chatel，意为财产，牲口。