- vt. & vi. 咬; (昆蟲)叮,蟄 seize, grasp or tear sth with the teeth or jaws; (insect) make a hole in the skin and draw blood
- [C]咬 act of biting
- [U]食物 food
- [C]咬傷,叮傷 wound made by a bite or a sting
- [C]魚吞食誘餌,上鉤 taking of bait by a fish
- [U]尖刻,刺痛 sharpness; sting
- [U]抓緊,握緊 cutting power or firm grip
a wound resulting from biting by an animal or a person
a small amount of solid food; a mouthful;
"all they had left was a bit of bread"
a painful wound caused by the thrust of an insect's stinger into skin
a light informal meal
(angling) an instance of a fish taking the bait;
"after fishing for an hour he still had not had a bite"
wit having a sharp and caustic quality;
"he commented with typical pungency"
"the bite of satire"
a strong odor or taste property;
"the pungency of mustard"
"the sulfurous bite of garlic"
"the sharpness of strange spices"
"the raciness of the wine"
the act of gripping or chewing off with the teeth and jaws
a portion removed from the whole;
"the government's weekly bite from my paycheck"
to grip, cut off, or tear with or as if with the teeth or jaws;
"Gunny invariably tried to bite her"
cause a sharp or stinging pain or discomfort;
"The sun burned his face"
penetrate or cut, as with a knife;
"The fork bit into the surface"
deliver a sting to;
"A bee stung my arm yesterday"
- Their dog bit a hole in my trousers.
- They are badly bitten by mosquitoes.
- He was taken to the hospital to be treated for snake bite.
- I'm stuffed, and I can't eat another bite.
- Barking dogs seldom bite.
- Be careful! My dog bites.
- This dog doesn't bite.
- Does your dog bite?
- The mosquitoes are really biting this evening!
- The fish wouldn't bite.
- The fish are biting well today.
- The angler waited long but the fish would not bite.
- I've been sitting here for hours but the fish aren't biting.
- I tried to sell him my old car but he wouldn't bite.
- The abettor set a trap for the children, but they didn't bite.
- I wanted to interest her in my plan, but she didn't bite.
- I made him what I thought were several tempting offers, but he wouldn't bite.
- I hoped she would be interested in my plan, but she didn't bite.
- This mustard does not bite much.
- The pepper doesn't bite much.
- This saw bites well.
- The movie is biting.
- Be sure the anchor bites well.
- The brake will not bite.
- The rails were covered with ice and the wheels did not bite.
- The wood is so dry the screws don't bite.
- The government's new higher taxes are really beginning to bite.
- Rising budget deficit is beginning to bite.
- Wild beasts in a corner bite hard.
- He bit the apple.
- Joe bit a large chunk out of the apple.
- She bit the thread in two.
- She bit the thread with the teeth.
- Max bit his lip.
- That nervous boy is biting his nails.
- The midges are biting me.
- A snake will not bite you if you leave it alone .
- The mouse bit a hole in the bag
- The trap bit the leg of a fox.
- The vice bit the iron bar.
- The anchor bites the sea floor.
- The chilli bites the tongue.
- The sword bit him to the bone.
- The glass splinters bit his face and hands.
- The cold bit us to the bone.
- An icy wind bit our faces.
- The frost will bite the fruit blossom.
- Acid bites metal.
- The pang of sympathy with the victim bit my breast.
- She was bitten by a mad dog.
- He was badly bitten by a poisonous snake.
- He was badly bitten by the mosquitoes.
- His fingers were bitten by the frost.
- He had been bitten by the bug of photography.
- He was completely bitten with angling mania.
- He ate the whole cake in three bites.
- Let me have a bite of your sandwich.
- Mary took a bite from her bread.
- I took a bite at the apple.
- I can't eat a tomato at one bite.
- The dog made a sharp bite at the tramp.
- The dog gave the postman a nasty bite.
- I haven't taken a bite all day.
- This is tasty.Have a bite of it.
- Come and have a bite with us.
- He is so absorbed in the work that he hasn't had a bite since morning.
- I haven't had a bite today.
- He hasn't had a bite since last night.
- Have a bite with me now or you'll get hungry later.
- I had a bite with my friend at a food stall.
- Has the patient taken a bite today?
- She got a snake bite.
- He soon recovered from the snake's bite.
- The bite of his wound kept him awake all night.
- This ointment is especially made for snake bites.
- The bite of a mad dog is dangerous.
- His face is covered with insect bites.
- I've been fishing for hours without a bite.
- I was fishing for a long time before I had a bite.
- The air had a frosty bite.
- We felt the bite of the cold wind.
- There is a bite to his words.
- The bite of the strong liquor brought him to consciousness.
- The party's election propaganda lacked bite and purpose.
- The writer's craft gives his novel its remarkable bite.
- Taxes take a big bite of Mr.James' paycheck.
- There's a screw with plenty of bite.
- bite at (v.+prep.)
上當 be deceived
- bite back (v.+adv.)
把(話)咽回去,強忍不說出來 control; prevent from being expressed
The cat bit back.
Even the weakest animal will bite back when it is cornered.
要是被逼急了,甚至最弱小的動物也會回咬一口。bite sb/sth ⇔ back
The dog bit the cat and got bitten back.
The little boy bit his friend, and got bitten back.
那小孩咬了他的小朋友,又遭到回咬。bite sth ⇔ back
The word 「Sorry」 rose to Morris's lips, but he bit it back.
A hot reply rose to his lips, but he bit it back.
He was about to say something when he suddenly thought better of it and bit it back.
She wanted to tell him her real feelings, but she bit the words back.
He bit the remark back, remembering where he was.
- bite down (v.+adv.)
一口咬下來; (咬緊牙關)忍耐 snap at sth and cut it suddenly control
The lion grabbed his neck and bit down.
She had great control of her temper; biting down hard, she said nothing.
- bite in〔into〕 (v.+prep.)
- bite off〔away〕 (v.+adv.)
從正在廣播的節目中取消(音樂或對話),中斷(廣播節目) eliminate (music or a dialogue) from a radio program while it is being broadcast; cut short (a radio program)
- bite off more than one can chew
承擔力所不能及的事(貪多嚼不爛) undertake more than one finds oneself able to perform; undertake a task that proves too difficult for one
- bite on1 (v.+adv.)
細想,鑽研(某問題) think carefully or study one problem
- bite on2 (v.+prep.)
咬(某物) cut into or nip sth/sb
bite sb on sth
The fierce dog bit me on the leg.
I was bitten on the leg by a dog.
- get two bites at a cherry
作第二次的嘗試 have a second opportunity to do sth
- put the bite on
向…借錢,敲某人的竹杠 borrow money from
- bite a piece of the apple 咬一塊蘋果
- bite meat 咬肉
- bite one's lips 壓制著感情,忍怒,保持沉默
- bite one's nose off 向某人當面搶白,頂撞某人
- bite one's thumb at 向…挑戰,侮辱
- bite the apple 咬蘋果
- bite the bullet 硬著頭皮,咬緊牙關,死撐硬頂
- bite the dust 被殺,陣亡
- bite the hand that feeds one 忘恩負義
- bite the nails 咬指甲
- bite the tongue 咬著舌頭,保持沉默
- bite annoyingly 憤怒地咬住
- bite badly 狠狠地咬
- bite daintily 斯文地撕咬
- bite hurriedly 迅速地咬住
- bite much 不怎麼辣
- bite murderously 致命地撕咬
- bite really 咬得凶,叮得凶
- bite savagely 野蠻地撕咬
- bite unmercifully 惡狠狠地撕咬
- bite viciously 邪惡地撕咬
- bite away 咬掉,啃去,中斷
- bite back (咬住嘴唇)不說出來
- bite back one's anger 忍住怒火
- bite back one's smile 忍住笑
- bite back one's tears 忍住眼淚
- bite off 咬掉,啃去,中斷
- bite off a big chunk 承擔難事
- bite off a piece of meat 咬下一塊肉
- bite off a piece of the apple 把蘋果咬了一塊
- bite off more than one can chew 貪多嚼不爛; 擔任自己不勝任的事
- bite off one's own head 害人不成反害己
- bite off the music program 中斷音樂節目
- bite off the tail 咬掉尾巴
- bite at 向…咬去; 沖…叫罵
- bite at a hook (魚)咬鉤,上鉤
- bite at an apple 咬一口蘋果
- bite at everybody 人人都罵
- bite at the bait 上當
- be bite by a dog 被狗咬傷
- be bite by a lust for gain 利欲熏心
- be bite by frost 被凍傷
- be bite by mosquitoes 被蚊子叮
- bite in the leg 腿被咬傷
- bite through steel plates 穿透鋼板
- bite with a mouth 用嘴咬
- bite with the teeth 用牙咬
- eat sth at one bite 一口將某物咬下
- recover from the bite 傷口癒合
- screw with plenty of bite 一個擰得很緊的螺絲
- ability to bite 咬的能力
I haven't had a bite since breakfast.出自： Tolkien
Taking a huge bite out of his sandwich.出自： C. Isherwood
He'd..have a bite to eat in a pub.出自： T. Sharpe
Grandpa never ate more than a bite and the rest sat on his plate.出自： M. Gee
Let dogs delight to bark and bite.出自： I. Watts
I bite into my chocolate.出自： Day Lewis
Takes carrot from coat pocket, bites off a piece.出自： S. Beckett
My grandfather..was bitten on the ear by a rat or a ferret and died..of blood poisoning.出自： W. Maxwell
She was..nibbling a cucumber sandwich (he glimpsed her small, pearly, even teeth as she bit).出自： D. M. Thomas
- bite in, bite on
- bite, chew, gnaw, nibble, snap
- 這幾個詞都有「咬,嚼」的意思。其區別在於:bite 是「咬」,即用牙鉗住或切斷; chew 是「嚼」,即用牙磨碎; gnaw是「啃」,即不斷嚙咬,例如:
- The dog was gnawing a bone.狗在啃骨頭。
- He was gnawing at his fingernails.他在咬指甲。
- snap 是突然猛咬,例如:
- The dog jumped and snapped at his throat.那條狗跳起來猛咬他的喉嚨。
- nibble 是「小口地嚙咬」。
- 例如:She nibbled at the biscuit.她一點點地咬餅乾。
- ☆ 直接源自古英語的bitan，意為分裂。