a long narrow sandy island (wider than a reef) running parallel to the shore
- It is scheduled to be launched from a research station in Sriharikota, a barrier island off the coast of southern Andhra Pradesh state.
- Located on the barrier island of Key Biscayne, this stretch of paradise - seven miles long and two miles wide -- lies south of Miami Beach and east of Miami.
- In the stage of Benxi, the deposits from east to west are respectively shallow-sea continental shelf, barrier island, lagoon and tidal flat in the area.
- The wind and rain had not yet begun along those barrier islands.
- A sandy promontory extending into the Atlantic Ocean from a barrier island on the east-central coast of Florida. It is the site of NASA's Kennedy Manned Space Flight Center, the launching area for U.S. space missions.
- In the barrier island town of Galveston, homes and businesses were flooded out, and when the storm winds receded, the local highway was covered with boats and other refuse left behind by the sea.