the offensive football players who line up behind the linemen
- The position of the football player in the backfield who directs the offensive play of his team.
- The backfield player whose position is behind the line of scrimmage and who usually calls the signals for the plays.
- A primarily defensive backfield player in field hockey, soccer, or rugby whose position is near the defensive goal or goal line.
- An offensive backfield player whose position is behind the quarterback and halfbacks and who primarily performs offensive blocking and line plunges.
- (football) a person who plays in the backfield.
- the backfield player whose position is behind the line of scrimmage and who usually calls the signals for the plays