an antibiotic (trade name Azactam) used against severe infections; has minimal side effects
- Aztreonam, which is active only against gram-negative bacilli, also is useful when given in a single dose.
- Aztreonam lysine is a proprietary formulation of aztreonam developed specifically for inhalation.
- Aztreonam has potent activity against Gram-negative bacteria such as P. aeruginosa.
- Aztreonam lysine for inhalation is an antibiotic candidate for people with cystic fibrosis who have P. aeruginosa.
- Aztreonam formulated with arginine is a FDA-approved agent for intravenous administration.
- A brief summary was made on the clinical pharmacology and application of aztreonam.