- 几乎,差不多 nearly; not quite
- 实际〔质〕上; 简直 virtually; practically
(of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished; all but;
"the job is (just) about done"
"the baby was almost asleep when the alarm sounded"
"we're almost finished"
"the car all but ran her down"
"he nearly fainted"
"talked for nigh onto 2 hours"
"the recording is well-nigh perfect"
"virtually all the parties signed the contract"
"I was near exhausted by the run"
"most everyone agrees"
- He slipped and almost fell.
- She was almost mad with grief when her son died.
- This event was almost simultaneous with that one.
- It's almost time to go.
- The bridge is almost 2 kilometres long.
- The girl was annoyed by his almost impudence.
- In his blind haste he almost ran into the river.
- I almost dropped the bulb.
- The dry undergrowth was almost set alight by the hot sun.
- I almost thought you meant it.
- I almost thought that you were wrong.
- He almost drowned.
- We were late, and almost missed the train.
- She has a bad cold, she's almost lost her voice.
- She almost fell off her horse.
- She almost burst into tears every time she saw a sad film.
- I almost had an accident yesterday.
- Fire almost destroyed the whole town.
- So extreme was the tension, she had almost forgotten to breathe.
- My high school English teacher was close to me.She was almost my best friend.
- They were almost all shock workers.
- In the hall it was almost dark.
- The little room was almost bare of furniture.
- He was almost dead.
- She is almost well.
- The bottle is almost empty.
- At this time of morning, the street was almost empty.
- He has played all the way in the football game and it's almost over.
- He was very short-sighted, almost helpless without his glasses.
- Nowadays the belief in magic is almost extinct.
- Our work is almost completed.
- The pain is almost more than she can bear.
- The place changed a great deal and was almost unrecognizable.
- It's almost certain to succeed.
- Chemically, it is almost identical to limestone.
- My studies were devoted almost entirely to contemporary literature.
- A baby is almost completely helpless.
- The seeds that had been sown were almost completely washed away by a sudden downpour.
- It's a mistake they almost always make.
- He is almost always busy.
- It almost always rains a great deal in June.6
- When death has once entered a house, it almost always returns there directly, as if it knew the door.
- There is very little humour in his make-up, a trait that comes through in his almost always serious speeches.
- It's almost time to go.
- Hurry up, it's almost time for the train to leave.
- Almost everybody spoke.
- That book is in print, you can get a copy at almost any bookstore.
- The band has been on the road for almost a month.
- When the meeting finished at 3:00, we had still almost an hour at hand before our train left.
- She is almost seven feet tall.
- It's almost ten miles from here to the civic center.
- The sea covers almost three-fourths of the earth's surface.
- It is almost six o'clock.
- He spent almost one thousand dollars a month.
- A few years ago this city had almost no chemical industry.
- There was almost no snow that winter.
- We got almost no help from him.
- Mary has made almost no mistakes.
- There is almost no getting on with my work.
- Almost nobody was present.
- Almost no one believed him.
- Almost no one took any rest.
- She said almost nothing.
- The company paid almost nothing for her loss.
- There was almost nothing to eat.
- He heard almost nothing about it.
- There is almost nothing worth reading except Lu Hsun's works.
- The speaker said almost nothing worth listening to.
- We have almost nothing to do now.
- They had almost nowhere to go.
- It's almost impossible to climb up the cliff.
- The suitcase was almost too heavy to lift.
- The scratch was almost too minute to see.
- I almost didn't go.
- This is almost, but not quite, correct.
- The electronic keyboard sounds almost like a piano.
- “Have you finished?”“Almost.”
- He is almost as tall as I am.
- The old man stood on a pile of bricks almost as high as a house.
- They are of different nationalities, with almost as many languages as there are students.
Thies giuers were almost Northmen.出自： R. Ascham
- almost可用于修饰动词、形容词、副词、名词、代词、数词或介词等,有时还可用来代替全句。almost不能与not连用,但可与no, none, nobody, nothing, never等否定词连用,表示“几乎,差不多”。
- 为了避免意义含混不清或者不合逻辑, almost常常紧接在它所修饰词之前。修饰动词时一般置于主要动词之前,但要放在系动词、助动词和情态动词之后。almost不能置于句末。
- almost no，almost nothing和almost never都指“几乎没有”，属美国英语，而英国人更习惯说scarcely/hardly any，scarcely/hardly anything和scarcely/hardly ever。不过两国人都不说almost not，因almost不可被not修饰，可以说nearly not；
It's nearly ten o'clock. (= perhaps 9.45)
It's almost ten o'clock. (= perhaps 9.57)
Jake is almost like a father to me.
- almost, nearly
- There are almost〔nearly〕 enough people here to do the job.做这项工作,这些人手差不多够了。
- Well, it happened almost〔nearly〕 ten years ago.这差不多是十年以前的事了。
- 3.在all, always, every等词前。例如：
- Almost〔nearly〕 every student spoke.几乎每个学生都发了言。
- He almost〔nearly〕 arrived late.他几乎总是迟到。
- 1.从含义上说, almost强调“十分接近”,而nearly强调“尚有不足”,所以在表示“想要做而没做成”“很可能发生但还未发生”时,要用nearly; 而表示“简直”“像”等意思时,要用almost。例如：
- I nearly committed a great error.我几乎犯了大错。
- Please wait a minute.I'm almost out of breath.请等一下,我简直喘不过气来了。
- It was almost like a dream.这简直就像一场梦。
- I nearly fell off my bike.
- I almost fell off my bike.
- He almost dreaded a visit to the doctor.他几乎害怕去看病。
- She almost wanted to leave here.她几乎想离开这里。
- 2.从程度上说, almost比nearly更接近。例如：
- We're nearly there.
- We're almost there.
- I'm nearly as clever as you.
- I'm almost as clever as you.
- It is nearly time for class.
- It is almost time for class.
- ［误］ Our cat understands everything— she's almost human.
- ［正］ Our cat understands everything— she's nearly human.
- ［误］ My aunt almost sounds foreign.
- ［正］ My aunt nearly sounds foreign.
- 4.从语气上说, almost只是一般陈述; 而nearly则具有较明显的惊讶、抱怨等感情色彩。试比较以下两个句子：
- It cost me almost a hundred yuan .
- It cost me nearly a hundred yuan .
- It's almost 40 minutes' walk to the park.
- It's nearly 40 minutes' walk to the park.
- 5.与no, none, nothing等连用,只能用almost而不能用nearly; 反之,与not, never连用,只能用nearly而不能用almost(但美式英语可说almost never)。例如：
- There are not nearly enough people here to do the job.干这活儿,这些人手还远不够。
- We almost never traverse tortuous paths.(AmE)我们难得走弯路。
- 6.在more than, too前用almost,不用nearly。例如：
- That's almost too much!那简直太过分了!
- This is almost more than we feared.这简直远远超过我们所害怕的情况。
- 7.nearly可加very, pretty等修饰,而almost不可。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的eallmst，意为大部分。