- 出名的,众所周知的; 熟悉的 known by many people
widely or fully known;
"a well-known politician"
"a politician who is well known"
"these facts are well known"
frequently experienced; known closely or intimately;
"a long-familiar face"
"a well-known voice reached her ears"
- He is little known as an artist.
- Our silks are known for good quality.
- His championship of women's rights is well known.
- Auroras are known to have many shapes and colors.
- The well-known singer was accompanied at the piano by my sister.
- Two well-known firms of drug manufactures are cooperating and attempting to find a cure for cancer.
- She was well-known two years ago.
- The writer is well-known for being productivity in works.
- well-known, celebrated, famous, noted, notorious, renowned
- 1.famous指受到公众广泛的公认,并为大家所熟悉、热爱和尊敬,含有名气、名声在外的意思,可用于人、事物等; celebrated指有更大更久远的名望,有为人赞颂或受人尊敬的含义,可较为客观地表示某人或某物受到的赞扬或奖励; well-known指出名的、为大家所熟悉的、众所周知的一般的人或事; notorious表示由于不良或丑恶行径而出名; renowned着重表示由于某种卓越的性质或成就而享有更高、更持久的声誉; noted着重表示由于特定行为而一时出名,但持久或公认的程度都不如其他名词。
- 2.famous比celebrated常用, celebrated有时有夸张的含义,它比famous更突出。
- 3.celebrated和renowned语气比famous强, well-known和noted语气都比famous或notorious轻。
- 4.famous多用于褒义; notorious多用于贬义; celebrated和renowned都是褒义词,后者更为正式; well-known和noted都是中性词,可用于褒义,也可用于贬义。例如:
- He is a famous painter.他是一个著名画家。
- Hangzhou is celebrated for its beautiful scenery.杭州以其美丽的风景著名。
- Edison was renowned as a great inventor.爱迪生作为伟大的发明家而享有盛誉。
- He is notorious as a deadbeat.他是个声名狼藉的二流子。
- Jim was noted for arriving late for work.吉姆曾因上班迟到而出过名。
- The restaurant is well-known for its fried noodle.那家饭馆以炒面著称。
误 He is one of the world's most well-known writers.
正 He is one of the world's best-known writers.
析 well-known意为“著名的”,其最高级形式应为best-known,不是most well-known。