- vt. & vi. 洗; 洗涤 make clean with water or some other liquid
- vi. 耐洗,经洗 be able to be washed without spoiling; bear cleaning with liquid without damage
- vi. & vt. 冲走; 冲击,拍打 carry with water; beat or strike with water
- [S] 洗; 洗涤 act of cleaning or being cleaned with water
- [S] 洗的衣物的数量 quantity of clothes, sheets, etc. (to be) washed
a thin coat of water-base paint
the work of cleansing (usually with soap and water)
the dry bed of an intermittent stream (as at the bottom of a canyon)
the erosive process of washing away soil or gravel by water (as from a roadway);
"from the house they watched the washout of their newly seeded lawn by the water"
the flow of air that is driven backwards by an aircraft propeller
a watercolor made by applying a series of monochrome washes one over the other
garments or white goods that can be cleaned by laundering
any enterprise in which losses and gains cancel out;
"at the end of the year the accounting department showed that it was a wash"
clean with some chemical process
cleanse (one's body) with soap and water
cleanse with a cleaning agent, such as soap, and water;
"Wash the towels, please!"
move by or as if by water;
"The swollen river washed away the footbridge"
be capable of being washed;
"Does this material wash?"
admit to testing or proof;
"This silly excuse won't wash in traffic court"
separate dirt or gravel from (precious minerals)
apply a thin coating of paint, metal, etc., to
remove by the application of water or other liquid and soap or some other cleaning agent;
"he washed the dirt from his coat"
"The nurse washed away the blood"
"Can you wash away the spots on the windows?"
"he managed to wash out the stains"
form by erosion;
"The river washed a ravine into the mountainside"
"The dew moistened the meadows"
wash or flow against;
"the waves laved the shore"
to cleanse (itself or another animal) by licking;
"The cat washes several times a day"
- This dress material shrinks in the wash.
- We'll toss a coin to see who does the wash.
- She has a large wash this week.
- Silk clothing should not use washing machines wash.
- Cheap clothes tend to fall apart when you wash them.
- I must wash my hands before dinner.
- Cotton clothes will shrink if you wash them in hot water.
- I am afraid you must wash out this stain.
- You must wash before dinner.
- I washed,combed my hair and went to the workshop.
- You were very dusty and went up to my room to wash.
- He never washes in cold water.
- We can wash in the stream near the campsite.
- Some washed and sewed, others mopped the floor and cleaned the windows.
- She has been washing the whole day.
- Does this cloth wash well?
- This sweater doesn't wash very well.
- These sheets are still dirty—they haven't washed very well.
- If the suit won't wash, it must be dry-cleaned.
- A breeze washed against her face.
- The waves washed against the ship with a gentle rhythm.
- That excuse will not wash.
- The story won't wash.
- Your statement just won't wash, because what you say is obviously untrue.
- I washed my car
- I washed my dog
- He brushed his teeth, washed his face and went to have breakfast.
- She washed her face and hands,then went downstairs.
- She was washing the clothes.
- When she is off duty, she often carries water and washes clothes for that old man.
- Would you wash this pair of trousers for me?
- You wash the dishes and I'll dry.
- He often helps her wash the dishes.
- Has he washed the cup?
- Tears washed her cheeks.
- The sea washed the seashore.
- The sea washes the base of the cliffs.
- These clothes will have to be washed.
- He was washed into the sea by a huge wave.
- After the tide, pretty shells were washed ashore.
- Please wash the bottle clean.
- He washed the blouse clean and folded it neatly.
- You must wash your hands clean before dinner.
- The house was washed white.
- We must get the curtains washed.
- You dirty boy! Go and have a wash.
- I'll give my car a good wash.
- The floor needs a good wash.
- I have a large wash this Sunday.
- I must do a wash today as I have no clean clothes left.
- She was hanging out the wash.
- She hung the wash on the line.
- All my shirts are at the wash.
- Send these things to the wash.
- This soup is a mere wash.
- The background of the picture was pale blue wash.
- Some swimmers followed the steamer to enjoy the wash of waves.
- In the dark they could hear the wash of waves against the piers.
- Her novel comes as a great wash of fresh air in literary circles.
- He remained calm in face of the wash of a wave of opinions.
- wash away (v.+adv.)
消除 remove the effect of guilt〔说明〕 wash away作此解时通常不用于进行体。
Their social and cultural identity washed away after some centuries.
几个世纪以后,他们原来的社会和文化特征消逝了。wash sth ⇔ away
She washed away the stains.
In the next ten years, the stream will wash away the base of this huge rock, which will roll down the slope.
The empty boat was washed away by the tide.
Last year's flood was the worst I had ever seen; every house in the village was washed away.
The base of the cliff is being gradually washed away by the sea.
The river banks have been washed away by the flood; the villagers must be warned of the danger!
That machine washes away without you having to do anything.
那台机器不需要人去照管就能不停地自动进行洗涤。wash sth ⇔ away
Nothing can ever wash away my feeling of responsibility for his death.
- wash down (v.+adv.)
(使)流下 bring or come down in streams
wash sth ⇔ down
He washed the car down with a hose.
I need some help to wash the walls down before painting.
绘画前,我需要有人帮忙把墙壁洗刷干净。wash sth ⇔ down
Put the pill on your tongue, and drink a big mouthful of water to wash it down.
She washed the cake down with a cup of coffee.
We didn't have much money for lunch, so we ate bread and washed it down with cold water.
Most of the soil in the river bed has washed down over the years from the mountains.
河床的大部分泥土都是多年来从山上冲刷下来的。wash sth ⇔ down
The floods have washed most of the soil down from the river banks.
The soil has been washed down into the valley.
- wash off (v.+adv.)
(使)清除掉,清洗掉 (cause to) be removed by cleaning, as with water
No, thick black ink like that won't wash off easily.
不行,那样的黑墨水不容易洗掉。wash sth ⇔ off
I let some lemonade fall on my clothes, and I'm not sure if I can wash it off.
- wash out (v.+adv.)
(使)褪色 drain off colour in laundering; fade
wash sth ⇔ out
I could not wash out the grease spots in the pan until I tried this detergent.
Don't just rinse the bottles.Wash them out carefully.
All the glasses should be washed out and sterilized.
The colour has washed out and looks faded.
Don't worry about the stain on your coat; it will easily wash out.
别为你衣服上的污迹发愁,那很容易洗掉。wash sth ⇔ out
I can't seem to wash out that ink that got onto the tablecloth.
Don't trouble about those coffee stains; we can soon wash them out.
If you get some greasy dirt on your clothes, you can wash it out with this washing powder.
At last the dirty mark was washed out of my shirt.
The bridge has washed out.
桥已被冲垮。wash sth ⇔ out
Heavy rain washed out three important roads overnight.
The embankment was washed out by the storm.
Seeds and seedlings were all washed out of the fields.
The bridge was washed out by a sudden flood.
You can't use the bridge any more; it's been washed out in the floods.
你们再不能使用那座桥了,它已被洪水冲垮。wash sb ⇔ out
She is washed out after her recent illness.
You seem all washed out, what's the matter?
Those children need more sleep; they look washed out.
I feel completely washed out after an ordinary day at the office.
在办公室工作一天后,我总是感到筋疲力尽。wash sth ⇔ out
I'm afraid this rain will wash out our garden party again.
Heavy rain that afternoon washed out our basketball match.
Two cricket matches were washed out this afternoon.
Today's football match has been washed out by a sudden downpour.
今天的足球赛因一场突然降临的大雨而取消了。wash sth ⇔ out
This fabric is washed out.
- wash over (v.+prep.)
进入…的思想 pass into the mind of sb
wash over sth
The waves washed over the sea embankment with a loud crashing noise.
波涛拍打着海堤发出巨大的撞击声。wash over sb
He was so buried in his work that the noise outside the window just washed over him.
He is so used to receiving complaints that they just wash over him nowadays.
他对别人的抱怨已经习以为常,所以现在只把它们当作耳边风。wash over sb
The thought washed over me that I might never see them again.
- wash up (v.+adv.)
耗尽; 结束,毁掉 exhaust; finish; ruin
We all washed up after dinner.
My little daughter often helps me wash up.
You can listen to some music while you are washing up.
你可以一面听音乐一面洗餐具。wash sth ⇔ up
I have washed up the dinner things.
Have the dishes been washed up yet?
It's a good habit to wash up before a meal.
饭前洗手洗脸是好习惯。wash sth ⇔ up
The waves washed the oil up onto the sand.
Last night's tide washed up some quite beautiful shells.
A lot of rubbish was washed up by the high tide.
Big logs are washed up every day on the west coast.
每天波涛将许多大原木冲到西岸上。wash sb/sth ⇔ up
Their marriage was washed up long ago.
They were engaged to be married, but I hear they're washed up.
他们原本订了婚,不过,我听说他们的婚事已吹了。wash sb ⇔ up
I feel all washed up.
After an ordinary day at the office I feel completely washed up.
After that performance,John is all washed up as a singer.
- come out in the wash
洗掉; 结果令人满意 wash off; solve (a problem completely)
- in the wash
正在洗 being washed
- wash bottle 洗瓶子
- wash car 洗车
- wash clothes 洗衣服
- wash dish 洗盘子
- wash face 洗脸
- wash hands 洗手
- wash oneself 洗澡
- wash out one's hope 使希望告吹
- wash out that idea 打消那个念头
- wash out the mouth 漱口
- wash walls with white 把墙刷白
- wash wound 洗伤口
- wash well 耐洗
- wash admirably 大量地洗涤
- wash adroitly 熟练地洗涤
- wash advantageously 有效地洗涤
- wash aptly 恰当地洗涤
- wash assiduously 持之以恒地洗涤
- wash automatically 自动洗涤
- wash briefly 简洁地洗涤
- wash carelessly 粗心地洗涤
- wash casually 漫不经心地洗涤
- wash cautiously 小心地洗涤
- wash completely 彻底洗涤
- wash conditionally 有条件地洗涤
- wash deliberately 从容地洗涤
- wash delightfully 愉快地洗涤
- wash fastidiously 讲究地洗涤
- wash freely 随意地洗涤
- wash frequently 经常洗涤
- wash futilely 徒劳地洗涤
- wash habitually 习惯地洗涤
- wash immediately 立即洗涤
- wash incessantly 不停地洗涤
- wash laboriously 吃力地洗涤
- wash listlessly 无精打采地洗涤
- wash personally 亲自洗涤
- wash reluctantly 不情愿地洗涤
- wash scrupulously 认真地洗涤
- wash slightly 轻微地洗涤
- wash slowly 慢慢地洗涤
- wash surreptitiously 偷偷地洗涤
- wash thoroughly 彻底地洗涤
- wash unconditionally 无条件地洗涤
- wash unnecessarily 不必要地洗涤
- wash unwillingly 勉强洗涤
- wash usually 经常洗涤
- wash utterly 完全洗涤
- wash willingly 欣然洗涤
- wash away 冲垮
- wash away the river banks 冲垮河堤
- wash off (使)清洗掉
- wash off stains 洗掉污点
- wash out (使)清洗掉,冲掉或冲垮(桥梁、道路)
- wash out the ink 洗掉墨水
- wash up 用水洗(碟子、锅等),洗脸和手等
- wash up dishes 洗盘子
- wash...for 替…洗涤
- wash the dishes for sb 替某人洗这些盘子
- wash in cold water 用冷水洗澡
- wash into 冲进
- wash off 洗掉
- wash...with 用…洗
- wash...with soap 用肥皂洗
- come out in the wash (某物)洗掉了,(某问题)圆满解决了
- do a/the wash 洗衣服
- get a wash 须洗一洗
- give sb/sth a wash 给…洗一洗
- have a wash 洗衣服
- need a wash 需要洗一洗
- stand wash 耐洗,经洗
- good wash 彻底洗,好好洗
- a large wash 一大堆要洗的衣服
- dirty wash 家丑,隐私
- dry wash 洗好晾干而未加熨烫的衣服
- huge wash 很多要洗的衣服
- mere wash 淡得像水一样的(茶,汤)
- wet wash 洗好但尚未干燥和熨烫的衣服
- wash ball 香皂
- wash basin 脸盆
- wash board 洗衣板
- wash bottle 洗涤瓶
- wash bowl 脸盆
- wash cloth 浴巾
- wash drawing 淡水画
- wash house 洗衣房
- wash mill 洗涤装置
- wash pipe 冲洗管
- wash room 厕所
- wash stand 脸盆架
- wash tub 洗衣盆
She never failed to enjoy her wash at the baths.出自： E. Blair
I'll just wash your jersey through.出自： N. Streatfeild
Wash the spinach with the red roots attached.出自：Cook's Magazine
When the water drained away, the street was washed..clean.出自： B. Okri
She..goes to the sink to wash the glasses.出自： E. O
- wash可用作不及物动词,当主语是人时,指洗手、脸等; 当主语是织物或布料时,指耐洗、经洗、不易掉色等,这时主动形式含有被动意义。
- wash也可作“冲走; 冲击,拍打”解,指水冲击着某物。可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。
- She had a wash.
- She did a wash.
- She did some washing.
误 He is washing the dishes.
正 He is washing the dishes later.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的wascan，意为洗涤。
- washing n. 正在洗或待洗的衣服‖washable adj. 可洗的; 耐洗的; (织物上的油漆、墨水等)可洗掉的