a violent commotion or disturbance;
"the storms that had characterized their relationship had died away"
"it was only a tempest in a teapot"
(literary) a violent wind;
"a tempest swept over the island"
- The tempest drove the ship on the rocks.
- The tempest seems to be calming down.
- The tempest had been as brief as terrific.
- The political tempest finally subsided.
- The scandal caused tempests in the newspaper.
- He won a tempest of applause when he ended his speech.
A Station safe for Ships, when Tempests roar.出自： Dryden
The whole air filled..with a tempest of sand driving in your face like sleet.出自： A. P. Stanley