- 适当的,适宜的,恰当的 right or appropriate for a purpose
meant or adapted for an occasion or use;
"a tractor suitable (or fit) for heavy duty"
"not an appropriate (or fit) time for flippancy"
worthy of being chosen especially as a spouse;
"the parents found the girl suitable for their son"
- These films are suitable for adults only.
- All the students are assigned to suitable jobs.
- The director is looking for a suitable locale for his new film.
- I would rather not build if I can find a suitable house.
- At first he tried to hide, but he couldn't find a suitable place.
- The trouble between them will be settled in a suitable manner in due course.
- I would like to suggest to you that this is not a suitable time.
- He hasn't any suitable shoes for the wedding.
- Setting aside the fact that the man has been in prison, he seems to be a suitable worker for the job.
- Would now be a suitable moment to show the slides?
- When will she come to her senses and see that he is a totally suitable man to marry?
- Books suitable for children are very much in demand.
- If you cross soft wheat with hard wheat you can produce flour suitable for making bread.
- Is she suitable for the job?
- I don't think I should be suitable for the post.
- These clothes are suitable for a weekend.
- This wine is not suitable to my taste.
- This conduct is suitable to your status.
George..is scouting around for a suitable post.出自： I. Murdoch
They could..go to a movie if her parents could find one suitable.出自： Beverley Cleary
Her..hat would have been as suitable for a race-meeting..as for a funeral.出自： M. Keane
- “suitable+ n. ”短语常可后接介词for引起的短语或动词不定式作定语。
- suitable for在句中还可用作后置定语,意为“适合…的”。
- suitable, appropriate, fit, proper
- 1.proper强调经过判断觉得是适宜的、合理的; fit指适合某种目的、用途、条件、要求或某人有能力胜任某种工作或职务等; suitable强调适合某种环境、情况或某种特殊需要; appropriate除指某一事物符合一定的目的外,也可指人、物品、特征、地方、时间等被社会公认为正确。例如:
- Thick woollen clothes are not appropriate for a hot summer day.厚的毛衣不适于夏天穿。
- They will visit the country again at a proper time.他们将在适当的时候再度访问这个国家。
- These clothes are suitable for a weekend.这些衣服适宜于周末穿。
- That man is not fit for the position.那个人不适合那一位置。
- 2.proper是较正式的用法; fit是最普通用法。
误 These shoes are not suitable to walk in the country.
正 These shoes are not suitable for walking in the country.
析 表“适合…”用suitable for..., suitable后不可接动词不定式。