make a strenuous or labored effort
to exert strenuous effort against opposition
climb awkwardly, as if by scrambling
be engaged in a fight; carry on a fight
- I struggled with the problem for hours before I saw daylight.
- The prisoner struggled (against his captors) but couldn't escape.
- She struggled to get away from her attacker.
- The chick finally broke through the shell and struggled out (of it).
- He struggled with his assailants and eventually drove them off.
- She also is receiving psychiatric counseling "to come to terms with what happened. She's struggling to understand."
- The struggling for knowledge hath a pleasure in it that of wrestling with a fine woman.
- He struggled to control his temper.