appear in a certain way
make a certain noise or sound
give off a certain sound or sounds
announce by means of a sound
utter with vibrating vocal chords
cause to sound
measure the depth of (a body of water) with a sounding line
- He looks as ill as he sounded on the phone.
- The sirens sounded an air-raid warning.
- His reply sounded to me like a reproach.
- A musical bell softly sounded somewhere in the passageway.
- Everyone uncovered when the signal sounded.
- She sounded adamant over the phone but I may still be able to talk her round.
- That note sounded sharp.
- It sounded the (death-)knell of all her hopes.