used in negative statement to describe a situation that has existed up to this point or up to the present time;
"So far he hasn't called"
"the sun isn't up yet"
to the degree or extent that;
"insofar as it can be ascertained, the horse lung is comparable to that of man"
"so far as it is reasonably practical he should practice restraint"
used after a superlative;
"this is the best so far"
"the largest drug bust yet"
- The bus route goes so far as that, so you'll need to take a taxi.
- So far I haven't heard of anybody who wants stop living on account of the cost.
- I am resolved to try story-writing but so far have not made a start.
- The scientist is doing experiments no one has so far attempted.
- It's the hottest day I've had so far.
- I agree up to a point, but things are not so easy.
- I don't know how far to rely on him.
- You can trust him only so far and no further.