- n. 边；侧；边缘；侧面；(多边形的)边；(立体的)面；一方；方面；旁边；家族
- adj. 旁的；次要的
- v. 站在…的一边；支持
- [C] 面; 侧面,边 any of the flat surface of sth; a surface of sth that is not its top, bottom, front, or back
- [C] 方面 a part or quality to be considered, usually in opposition to another
- [C] 一方,一边 (a group with holds) a position in a quarrel, war, etc.
- [A] 侧面的,边的 at, from, towards, etc., the side
- [A] 枝节的,次要的 beside or in addition to the main or regular thing
- vi. 支持,站在…的一边 support sb or group in a quarrel, fight, etc.
a place within a region identified relative to a center or reference location;
"they always sat on the right side of the church"
"he never left my side"
one of two or more contesting groups;
"the Confederate side was prepared to attack"
either the left or right half of a body;
"he had a pain in his side"
a surface forming part of the outside of an object;
"he examined all sides of the crystal"
"dew dripped from the face of the leaf"
an extended outer surface of an object;
"he turned the box over to examine the bottom side"
"they painted all four sides of the house"
an aspect of something (as contrasted with some other implied aspect);
"he was on the heavy side"
"he is on the purchasing side of the business"
"it brought out his better side"
a line segment forming part of the perimeter of a plane figure;
"the hypotenuse of a right triangle is always the longest side"
a family line of descent;
"he gets his brains from his father's side"
a lengthwise dressed half of an animal's carcass used for food
an opinion that is held in opposition to another in an argument or dispute;
"there are two sides to every question"
an elevated geological formation;
"he climbed the steep slope"
"the house was built on the side of a mountain"
(sports) the spin given to a ball by striking it on one side or releasing it with a sharp twist
located on a side;
"the side porch"
take sides for or against;
"Who are you widing with?"
- My house is the ninth on the right side.
- The park is just on the left side of this street.
- We planted tulips along the side of the lawn.
- The town sprawled along the side of the lake.
- The side of the boat had been staved in.
- A square has four sides but a circle has no sides.
- A cube has six sides.
- I am always the winning side.
- He took neither side in the dispute.
- She argued her side of the case well.
- The grandfather on his mother's side is still living.
- He came in through a side door to avoid the crowds.
- The teacher would like to discuss this side issue later.
- She always sided with my brother.
- Why do you always side against me ?
- A cube has six sides.
- Which side of the box do you put the label on?
- There is a garage built onto the side of the house.
- Also alcohol sometimes sticks to the side of the tube.
- The car must have gone into the side of the house at a tremendous speed.
- The child ran to the side of the swimming pool and dived in.
- The man called from the other side of the river, and his friend called back.
- The city was defended by mountains on three sides.
- Please stand to one side, you're casting your shadow over my work.
- He was wounded in the right side.
- She is lying on her side.
- The village sits on the side of the hill.
- Have you considered both sides of the question?
- Thank you, your view has helped to bring the historical side of the matter into focus.
- He was appointed to score for our side.
- He hasn't declared himself. We don't know which side he will take.
- The Minister has threatened to cross over to the other side if the government refuses to accept his decision.
- She is the debit side of the account.
- I cannot agree with neither side.
- We should do justice to both sides.
- The teacher stayed judgement till she could hear both sides.
- The two sides have agreed on the date of negotiations.
- The two sides solemnly declared,“The region must be made immune from any foreign interference.”
- He said that both sides were arming themselves.
- The enthusiasm of your side and the determination of the other balance each other out.
- He is a cousin on my father's side.
- Mother told me to switch over to the other side.
- There's absolutely no side to Joan.
- There was a tree at〔by〕 the side of the house.
- She walked at〔by〕 his side.
- A little girl was sitting by his side.
- There is a bus by the side of the road.
- On each side stands an attendant.
- On either side of the rostrum sat representatives of parents, teachers and Red Scarves.
- The lake is surrounded by all sides.
- The bus station is on the right side of the road.
- The room is on the north side of the house.
- All the rivers on the east side of England drain into the North Sea.
- Write on only one side of the paper.
- This coin has the queen's head on one side and a lion on the other.
- The fault must be your side.
- They are on my side in this issue.
- There is a side door here.
- Don't divert the subject into a side issue.
- The main dish was meat, with various vegetables as side dishes.
- We not only have to understand technology, we must also predict its side effects.
- Mr. White sided with me in the argument.
- They sided against the plan to go by plane.
- He sided with his sister against the others in the class.
- On the initial, preliminary vote, six jurors indicated they sided toward “not guilty”.
- from〔on〕 all sides
从各个方向; 到处 in〔from〕 all directions; everywhere
- from〔on〕 every side
从各个方向; 到处 in〔from〕 all directions; everywhere
- let the side down
不帮助〔支持〕同事; 使同事感到失望 not give one's colleagues, etc. the help and support they expect, or behave in a way that disappoints them
- on the (big〔small〕, etc.) side
偏大、偏小等 rather or too big, small, etc.
- on the right〔wrong〕 side of
近似; 略多 nearly or just more than
- on the side
暗地里,秘密地 secretlyShe's married but she has a lover on the side.她虽然已婚,但暗地里还有一个情人。
- put on side
摆架子 pretend to be what one is not
- side by side
相互支持 supporting each otherWe must stand side by side in this trouble and help each other.在这困难时刻我们必须团结一致,互相帮助。
- split one's sides
捧腹大笑,开怀大笑 laugh heartily or violently
- take on〔to〕 one side
把(某人)拉到一边(以便私下交谈) talk to sb privately
take sb on〔to〕 one side
I took her on one side to ask about her odd behaviour.
I took Imes to one side to tell him the bad news.
- take sides (with)
在争执中支持〔袒护〕某一方 favour or support one party in a dispute
- all sides 各方面
- blind side 弱点
- both sides 双方
- bright side 光明面
- dark side 黑暗面
- east side 东面
- either side 任何一边
- every side 各方面
- far side 远的一面
- left side 左边
- losing side 输方
- near side 近的一面
- north side 北面
- practical side 实际的一面
- right side 右边,对的一方
- south side 南面
- weak side 弱点
- west side 西面
- wrong side 错的一方
- at sb's side 在某人身旁
- side by side 肩并肩地,一起
- walk side by side 并肩而行
- by sb's side 在某人身旁
- by the side of 在…的旁边〔附近〕
- by the side of his wife 在他妻子旁边
- from a side 从某一边
- from side to side 左右(摇摆)
- from all sides 从各方面,从四面八方
- from its best side 从好方面
- from the other side 从另一边
- on a side 在一边,在某一面
- on the cheap side 有点便宜
- on the dear side 有点贵
- on the heavy side 略重
- on the light side 略轻
- on the other side 在另一面
- on the safe side 安全地
- sides of a problem 问题的多方面
- side of the house 屋子的侧面
- side of the road 路边
- right side of cloth 布的正面
- wrong side of cloth 布的反面
- right side of the door 门内
- wrong side of the door 门外
- right side of 50 不满五十岁
- wrong side of 50 已过五十岁
- many sides to one's character 性格的多方面
- two sides to every question 每个问题的两个方面
- side dish 一碟小菜
- side door 旁门
- side effect 副作用
- side entrance 侧门
- side issue 枝节问题
- side remark 旁注
- side view of an object 物体的侧面
- side window 边窗
One doll lay with her head to the side.sss sssB. Keaton出自： L. Ellmann
She swivels around,..stroking her sides with her hands.出自：Premiere
He found himself siding with Charles..against this troublesome, offended woman.出自： A. Alvarez
- side也可指“边缘或边界(的地方)”,如床边的桌子(by the side of one's bed); 还可指平而薄的东西(如纸、布、金属片两面之一)的“面”。
- side还可指垂直或近似垂直物的“内侧或外侧”,如山的坡面(the side of the mountain); 用于人指“(人体的)左侧或右侧”,尤指腋至臀的部分,即“胁”。
- 表示“在…旁边”时, side前可加介词by或at; 表示“在街、路、河的某一边”时用by the side of; 表示“在街、路、河的每〔两〕边”时用on (each〔either,both,all〕) side(s) of; 表示“在物体的某一面”时用on...side; 表示“在争论中站在某一方”时用on sb's side。
- on sb's side, on sb's part
- 这两个短语在用法上有所区别：前者多用作定语; 后者多用作表语。例如:
- There is no objection on our part.我们并不反对。
- The final victory is on our side.最后的胜利属于我们。
- side, angle, aspect, phase
- There was a little white house on the side of the mountain.
- There was a little white house by the side of the mountain.
- The baby slept on its left side.
- The baby slept at its mother's side.
- Don't put on side when you have made progress.
- You are wise to put some water on one side.
误 She is always taking side of winners.
正 She is always taking the side of winners.
正 She is always on the side of winners.
正 She is always on the winners' side.
析 “站在…一方”可用take the side of, be on the side of, be on sb's side等表示,其中定冠词the不可省略。在争论中母亲总是袒护汤姆。
误 Mother always takes side with Tom in the argument.
正 Mother always takes sides with Tom in the argument.
析 take sides (with)意为“在争执中支持〔袒护〕某一方”,其中side要用复数形式。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的side，意为侧面。
- part adj.
- secondary v.