1/60 of a minute; the basic unit of time adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites
an indefinitely short time
the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near the second of the bases in the infield
a particular point in time
following the first in an ordering or series
a 60th part of a minute of arc
the official attendant of a contestant in a duel or boxing match
a speech seconding a motion
the gear that has the second lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle
merchandise that has imperfections; usually sold at a reduced price without the brand name
give support or one's approval to
transfer an employee to a different, temporary assignment
- The food was on the table in seconds.
- The winning time was 1 minute 5 seconds.
- Blast-off is in 30 seconds.
- The smaller boys were given a start of 10 seconds in the race.
- She was out of bed, dressed and at the breakfast table in 50 seconds flat.
她起床、 穿衣、 坐到饭桌旁，一共才用了50秒钟。
- Mark couldn't afford the best bicycle, so he bought a second best.
- He beat the other runners by a margin of ten seconds.
- He clocked 9.8 seconds for the 100 metres.