- 仅仅; 几乎不 only just; hardly
- 决不 surely not
only a very short time before;
"they could barely hear the speaker"
"we hardly knew them"
"just missed being hit"
"had scarcely rung the bell when the door flew open"
"would have scarce arrived before she would have found some excuse to leave"
"he hardly ever goes fishing"
"he was hardly more than sixteen years old"
"they scarcely ever used the emergency generator"
- He spoke scarcely a word of English.
- We scarcely ever used the reserve generator.
- This book is scarcely worthy reading.
- I could scarcely recognize him.
- Scarcely had he arrived when he had to leave again.
- They could scarcely complain after such good treatment.
- We scarcely have time for breakfast.
- You're scarcely well enough to sit up yet.
- Scarcely do I know him.
- I had scarcely come in when the phone rang.
- Scarcely had I closed my eyes when I began to imagine the most fantastic shapes.
- We've scarcely any money left.
- He's scarcely ever late for work.
- There were scarcely fifty people present in that meeting.
It is scarcely possible to act otherwise.出自： L. Murray
He blamed my partner, who could scarcely believe his ears.出自： H. Conway
Work on the edition..had scarcely progressed.出自： A. S. Byatt
He could scarcely stifle his cry of pain.出自： O. Manning
Her salary scarcely paid the rent.出自： B. Chatwin
- scarcely之后可接any, ever, at all等,表示“几乎不”“几乎从不”“几乎没有”; 也可接when表示“刚刚…就…”,这时主句用过去完成式, when引导的从句用一般过去式。
- scarcely, barely, hardly
- hardly常用来修饰表示能力的词; scarcely强调不足,常与enough, sufficient等词连用; barely强调“勉强”。例如:
- The enemy are so exhausted that they are hardly able to fight any longer.敌人已经疲惫得简直不能再战了。
- The field is so thickly grown with rice that there is scarcely sufficient room for one to work in.稻子长得很密,人们简直无法下田劳动了。
- I have barely enough money to buy a cup of coffee.我的钱刚好够买一杯咖啡。