semisolid preparation (usually containing a medicine) applied externally as a remedy or for soothing an irritation
anything that remedies or heals or soothes;
"he needed a salve for his conscience"
save from ruin, destruction, or harm
apply a salve to, usually for the purpose of healing
- The salve will heal slight burns.
- This kind of salve is used on wounds.
- This is an inevitable result of the cheap credit that has been applied as a salve for the financial crisis.
- She paid the repair bill as a salve to her conscience.
- He took them presents to salve his conscience.
- He tried to salve his conscience with excuses, but he knew he was doing wrong.
- Doctors tried their best to salve his life.
- We were unable to salve anything from the factory's fire.
The salves which the old field surgeon had shown him how to use.出自： R. Sutcliff
They salved my cuts and stopped the bleeding.出自： J. Masefield