- [U]娱乐(方式),消遣(方式) (a form of) amusement and enjoyment; way of spending free time
an activity that diverts or amuses or stimulates;
"scuba diving is provided as a diversion for tourists"
"for recreation he wrote poetry and solved crossword puzzles"
"drug abuse is often regarded as a form of recreation"
activity that refreshes and recreates; activity that renews your health and spirits by enjoyment and relaxation;
"time for rest and refreshment by the pool"
"days of joyous recreation with his friends"
- In other words, we had better take sufficient recreation to relax after work.
- Art is both creation and recreation.
- Some films combine education with recreation .
- Our city needs more facilities for recreation.
- The rest of the day was entirely at his disposal for reading and recreation.
- My only recreations are drinking beer and working in the garden.
- healthy〔innocent, popular〕 recreation 健康〔无害,大众喜爱〕的娱乐活动
Forsytes, whose chief recreation..is the discussion of each other's affairs.出自： J. Galsworthy
- recreation, hobby, pastime
- hobby是可数名词,一般指在室内或室外独自进行的活动,通常不剧烈(如集邮、下棋、弹奏乐器等),包括技术很高的活动或简单的动作; pastime指空余时间的娱乐活动,往往不具有什么内在的价值或意义,常指消遣,很多情况下可以和hobby通用; recreation强调改变环境以调节生活节奏或在紧张的工作之后放松一下。例如:
- His favourable pastime〔hobby〕 is playing chess.他最喜欢的娱乐活动是下棋。
- Going to the movies is the most popular pastime in the nation.在国内最流行的娱乐方式是看电影。
- Walking, gardening and reading are quiet forms of recreation.散步、搞园艺、读书是安静的调节生活的方式。
- ☆ 14世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的recreacion；最初源自拉丁语的recreationem，意为康复。