the feeling that things will turn out badly
a general disposition to look on the dark side and to expect the worst in all things
- He has a tendency towards pessimism.
- There is the note of pessimism in his writings.
- He never gave himself up to pessimism in spite of difficulties.
- Pessimism is the hallmark of his major novels.
- All his father's power of seeing the worst, all his wife's nervous pessimism had come to the fore in him during the hour since he had been handed that message.
- optimism 乐观