a prolonged period of time;
"we've known each other for ages"
"I haven't been there for years and years"
- It is true that these changes take a long time, but not as long as we might expect.
- He has been grappling with the problem for a long time.
- He had been ill for a long time and consequently he was behind in his work.
- I don't know him well though I've known him for a long time.
- It's been a long time.
- For a long time special observations were made of these gases under different pressure and temperature.
- Continuing or lasting for an indefinitely long time.
- It is a great relief to have rain after a long time of drought.