- n. 熨斗；铁；刚强
- (复）irons: 镣铐.
- v. 熨；烫
- adj. 铁的；刚强的
- 给...装铁具， 用铁装备
- 铁的，铁制的 ；铁似的
- [U]铁 common hard silver white metallic element capable of being magnetized and used in various forms
- [C]熨斗 a heavy object with a flat bottom and a handle on top, shaped in a point at the front, which is heated, usually electrically, and used for making cloth and clothes smooth
- [U]坚强,刚强; 冷酷 physical strength or moral firmness or harshness
- vt. & vi. 熨平 make clothing smooth and flat with a hot iron; smooth or press clothing with a hot iron
a heavy ductile magnetic metallic element; is silver-white in pure form but readily rusts; used in construction and tools and armament; plays a role in the transport of oxygen by the blood
a golf club that has a relatively narrow metal head
implement used to brand live stock
home appliance consisting of a flat metal base that is heated and used to smooth cloth
"an iron constitution"
press and smooth with a heated iron;
"press your shirts"
"she stood there ironing"
- The iron hissed as it pressed the wet cloth.
- They analyzed the ore and found iron in it.
- Tom didn't iron his shirt yesterday.
- How can I remove the rust from the iron door?
- The iron has lost its magnetic force.
- Cast iron is apt to break.
- The foundry smelts iron.
- Gold is distinct from iron.
- This food is deficient in iron.
- The assay result of that material is rich in iron.
- The production of iron took three years to climb to 500,000 tons.
- The small city has its own iron works and gas works.
- He was in irons.
- An iron has a handle and a flat metal base.
- Materials are all washable and none or minimum iron.
- She is ironing a shirt with an electric iron.
- She quickly withdrew her hand from the hot iron.
- Mary has nerves of iron.
- In him they saw a leader with a will of iron . They took heart.
- It is pitiful to see that the life of an animal in a zoo is spent in an locked iron cage.
- She's been ironing all afternoon.
- This material irons more easily when it is damp.
- I can't iron shirts.
- She's ironing his shirt.
- John ironed his suit in his bedroom.
- Your shirt is already ironed.
- have several irons in the fire
同时有好几件事情要做 be involved in several activities at once
- iron hand in a velvet glove
外柔内刚; 口蜜腹剑地 ruthlessness that is disguised by an outward appearance of gentleness
- man of iron
性格刚强的人 sb with great strength of character
- rule with a rod of iron
严加管理; 控制得很严 govern (sth such as a group) in a very severe way
rule sb/sth with a rod of iron
She rules her husband with a rod of iron.
He ruled the country with a rod of iron.
The dean ruled his department with a rod of iron.
John is ruled by his wife with a rod of iron .
A small kingdom ruled by herself with a rod of iron was what she liked.
- strike while the iron is hot
趁热打铁 take an opportunity while it presents itself
- with an iron hand
- iron out (v.+adv.)
解决,处理; 消除 remove or find an answer to sth; eliminate
iron sth ⇔ out
She ironed out all the creases in the shirt.
I shall have to iron out the creases in this dress.
I always iron out the folds in new sheets, so that they are more comfortable to sleep in.
He offered to iron out the wrinkles in her dress.
She tried hard to iron out the wrinkles over her blouse.
她费了很大的力气才把上衣上的皱纹熨平。iron out sth
It didnt take long to iron out the difficulties.
The directors are trying to iron out the difficulties connected with the new contract.
The House and Senate ironed out the differences between their two tax bills.
They are experts at ironing out the problems that arise at international gatherings.
The purpose of this conference is to iron out the misunderstandings between the two sides.
It's time we ironed out the causes of the disagreement once and for all.
The problem should have been ironed out months ago.
Their misunderstandings were ironed out after a long talk.
There are no difficulties that cannot be ironed out if both parties are determined to reach an agreement.
I thought most of our problems were ironed out.
- attract iron 吸引铁
- cast iron 铸铁
- collect iron 收集铁
- contain iron 含铁
- forge iron 打铁
- hammer iron 打铁
- have many irons in the fire 同时要做的事太多
- lay every iron in the fire 使用种种手段
- melt iron 熔化铁
- mine iron 开采铁矿
- mould iron 铸铁
- plug in an iron 使熨斗插上插头
- press with iron 用熨斗熨烫
- put all irons in the fire 使用种种手段
- put sb in irons 给某人上镣铐
- roll iron 轧铁,卷铁板
- smelt iron 炼铁
- strike iron 打铁
- unplug an iron 给熨斗拔掉电源插头
- use iron 用熨斗
- wear leg irons 戴脚镣
- branding iron 烙铁,火印
- cast iron 铸铁
- climbing iron (登山靴上的)铁钉助爬器,上杆脚扣
- curling iron 烫发钳
- fire irons 炉子的生火用具
- pig iron 生铁
- scrap iron 废铁
- sheet iron 铁板
- steam iron 蒸气熨斗
- in iron 从事铁业
- worker in iron 铁匠
- in irons 戴着镣铐
- man of iron 意志坚强的人,严酷无情的人
- rule with a rod of iron 施行高压政策
- with iron 用熨斗熨烫
Meddle you must, that's certain, or forswear to wear iron about you.出自：Twelfth Night , Shakespeare
What if Trade..thatch with towns the prairie broad With railways ironed o'er.出自： R. W. Emerson
We had to take our clogs to be 'ironed'.出自：Lancashire Life
- 用于比喻, iron还可作“坚强,刚强; 冷酷”解,是不可数名词。
- in iron, in irons
- 两者意思不同:in iron的意思是“从事铁业”; 而in irons的意思是“戴着镣铐”。例如:
- He is a worker in iron.
- When the earl reached the castle,his legs were put in irons.
- 那位伯爵到了城堡后,双脚就被套上 了镣铐。
- irons, fetters, handcuffs
- 这三个词都可表示刑具。其区别在于: irons 主要指“脚镣或手铐”; fetters则专指“脚镣”; handcuffs常指“手铐”。例如:
- The prisoner was put in irons.那个罪犯被戴上了镣铐。
- The black leader was in fetters behind the bars.这位黑人领袖在铁窗里,戴着脚镣。
- Handcuffs were put on her wrists when the arrest warrant was shown to her.给她看了逮捕证,随即给她戴上手铐。
- the Iron 铁器时代
- Iron Age (希腊与罗马神话中的)黑铁时代
- iron age (人类的)颓废时期
误 Iron and steel industry are developing.
正 Iron and steel industry is developing.钢和铁的产量都在增长。
误 Iron and steel outputs is increasing.
正 Iron and steel outputs are increasing.
析 iron and steel作为一个固定短语“钢铁”,不管是作复合名词还是作形容词,动词都要用单数; 但如果把iron和steel作为两个不同的内涵,就要求用复数动词。
误 She ironed the wrinkles in her dress.
正 She ironed out the wrinkles in her dress.
析 动词iron指“熨烫衣物”,后接表示衣物、服装类的名词作宾语。但要表示“借熨烫把褶皱除去”,应该用iron out。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的isarn，意为铁。