situated ahead or going before;
"an advance party"
"at that time the most advanced outpost was still east of the Rockies"
ahead of time; in anticipation;
"when you pay ahead (or in advance) you receive a discount"
"We like to plan ahead"
"should have made reservations beforehand"
- To ride in an aeroplane you have to book in advance.
- Before visiting him, I called him up in advance.
- If you warn me in advance, I will have your order ready for you.
- Send your luggage on in advance.
- As long as you've paid in advance we won't charge you for delivery.