- n. 家；家庭；收容所；栖息地；发源地
- adv. 在家；回家；在国内；回国；正中目标
- adj. 家用的；国内的；总部的；（比赛）主场的
- v. 提供住处；朝向
- 发源地，发祥地 ，产地
- [C][U]家; 住宅; 家乡,故乡 the house where one lives; a house; the place where one was born or habitually lives
- [C]家庭 the house and family one belongs to
- [S]产地,生长地; 发源地 a place where a plant or animal can be found living or growing wild, especially in large numbers; the place where sth was originally discovered, made, or developed
- [C]收容所,养育院 a place for the care of a group of people or animals of the same type, who do not live with a family
- [U]终点 the finishing line of race
- 家庭的,在家里的; 家乡的; 总部的 of or being a home, place of origin, or base of operation
- 本地的,国内的 not foreign; domestic
- 家用的 prepared, done, or intended for use in a home
- 主场的,主队的 played or playing at one's own sports field, rather than that of an opponent
- 在家,回家,到家 to or at one's home
- 尽可能深地; 击中要害 as far as possible or to the right place
where you live at a particular time;
"deliver the package to my home"
"he doesn't have a home to go to"
"your place or mine?"
housing that someone is living in;
"he built a modest dwelling near the pond"
"they raise money to provide homes for the homeless"
the country or state or city where you live;
"Canadian tariffs enabled United States lumber companies to raise prices at home"
"his home is New Jersey"
(baseball) base consisting of a rubber slab where the batter stands; it must be touched by a base runner in order to score;
"he ruled that the runner failed to touch home"
the place where you are stationed and from which missions start and end
place where something began and flourished;
"the United States is the home of basketball"
an environment offering affection and security;
"home is where the heart is"
"he grew up in a good Christian home"
"there's no place like home"
a social unit living together;
"he moved his family to Virginia"
"It was a good Christian household"
"I waited until the whole house was asleep"
"the teacher asked how many people made up his home"
an institution where people are cared for;
"a home for the elderly"
used of your own ground;
"a home game"
relating to or being where one lives or where one's roots are;
"my home town"
inside the country;
"the British Home Office has broader responsibilities than the United States Department of the Interior"
"the nation's internal politics"
at or to or in the direction of one's home or family;
"He stays home on weekends"
"after the game the children brought friends home for supper"
"I'll be home tomorrow"
"came riding home in style"
"I hope you will come home for Christmas"
"I'll take her home"
"don't forget to write home"
on or to the point aimed at;
"the arrow struck home"
to the fullest extent; to the heart;
"drove the nail home"
"drove his point home"
"his comments hit home"
provide with, or send to, a home
return home accurately from a long distance;
- She lives a long way from home.
- My home isn't very big, but very comfortable.
- He is planning to establish a home.
- The aged is taken care of in the old folks home.
- The lake is noted as a home to many birds.
- New Orleans is the home of jazz.
- Is he home from work?
- I bought the magazines on my way home.
- He punched out and went home at six o'clock.
- The delegation will be home next week.
- He struck the nail home.
- This is my home phone number.
- These products are for home sale.
- Our home office is in New York.
- Please let us know as soon as you hear from your home office?
- The home team won the game.
- The referee just called a penalty on the home team.
- Someone will home you when you arrive there.
- The plane homed in on the radio beacon.
- This is the finest home in this city.
- If you buy that home, will you spend the rest of your life there?
- My home is in New York.
- My home is both comfortable and sweet.
- The poor man always wants to have a really comfortable home.
- England became his second home.
- He left home at the age of twenty.
- The old man looked forward to seeing the old home again.
- Neither beasts nor birds would have the bat as their friend, so he was afraid to leave his home.
- Yunnan Province is the home of elephants and peacocks.
- The United States is the home of jazz.
- Some of them are home to rock wrens, swallows and great horned owls.
- Paris is the home of women's fashions.
- There is a home for the blind in this town.
- The hundred metres champion managed to get home by a tenth of a second.
- They enjoy home joys.
- What is your home address?
- Much is produced here for the home market.
- The home team was skinned alive this afternoon.
- The boss usually heaps work on me just when it's time to go home.
- He went home.
- She impressed it on me that I must come home early.
- I really must be getting home in a moment.
- It was nearly dark when I got home.
- In the after years the sailor did not get home often.
- Mrs. Babbitt was not accustomed to leaving home during the winter.
- When he returned home, he found his room fastened.
- What were you doing home last night?
- Nothing happened home.
- He struck the nail home.
- The little girl wanted to take this toy home.
- You should send her home.
- I saw him on his way home.
- I met with him on my way home this afternoon.
- Mother will be home directly.
- He was glad to be home again.
- Is Henry home?
- at home
国内 in one's own country
- be〔feel〕 at home
精通,对…内行 be familiar with; be accustomed to
- close〔near〕 to home
触到痛处; 说得太露骨 uncomfortably near the truth
- eat out of house and home
把某人吃得倾家荡产 eat a lot of food at the cost of (sb)
eat sb out of house and home
During the three weeks we entertained John's friends, we were eaten out of house and home.
- feel at home
无拘无束 feel comfortable or relaxed
- home from home
像家里一样安适自在的地方 place where one feels as comfortable
- home is where the heart is
心在家就在 wherever one's family lives is equivalent to home
- house and home
- last home
坟墓 final resting place; tomb
- make oneself at home
随便,无拘束 be as comfortable as if one were in his or her own home
- bring home
(把…)拿〔带〕回家 bring (sb/sth) to one's home
bring sth/sb home
I don't like to bring my work home. I'd rather stay late at the office.
Don't worry,I'll bring you home.
- bring home the bacon
〈口〉获得成功 be successful
- bring home to
证明(某人)有(罪); 证明(某人)有(过失) put the blame for (sth wrong) on (sb)
bring sb home to sth
I like to bring my friends home to a warm welcome from my family.
我喜欢邀请朋友到家作客,并使他们受到家里人的热烈欢迎。bring sth home to sb
The situation brings home to us the need for drastic preventive measures.
You must bring home to John what the difficulty is.
You must bring home to Jimmy that we don't have enough money.
你必须使吉米相信我们的钱不够。bring sth home to sb
The courts are making efforts to bring their crimes home to the young people.
- come home to
使感动; 使…领会 be moved; make (sb) understand
- come home to roost
得到恶报 return of unpleasantness as a result of previous action
- drive home
讲清楚 get sb to understand or realize it clearly
drive sth home to sb
We must drive home to him where the difficulties lie.
- get home (to)
被充分理解; 中肯 make sth clear; make sth obvious to
get sth home (to sb)
I can't seem to get it home to my son that extra time spent studying now will pay off in the future.
The speaker got his point home, and many of his listeners were ashamed.
- home and dry
安全的; 大功告成 safe; successful
- romp home
轻易取胜 win easily
- strike〔thrust〕 home
取得显著的效果 achieve a desired or significant effect
- build a home 建一所住宅
- buy a home 买一处住宅
- feel at home 觉得舒服,自在
- go to sb's home 到某人家去
- leave home 离开家
- make a home 安家,成家
- manage a home 治家,管家
- miss one's home 想家
- operate a home 治家,管家
- ring up home 给家里打电话
- run a home 治家,管家
- set out for home 向基地出发
- stay at home 呆在家里
- better-class home 上等的住宅
- broken home 破裂的家庭
- good home 美满的家庭
- happy home 幸福的家庭
- industrial home 工业发源地
- last home 坟墓
- new home 新居
- old home 老家,故里
- private home 私人住宅
- rich home 富裕的家庭
- unhappy home 不幸的家庭
When their business compels them to be away from home.出自： G. B. Shaw
Every family in America deserves a decent home, whether a farmhouse or a city apartment.出自： Lyndon B. Johnson
Home is the place we have to leave in order to grow up.出自： M. Ignatieff
Stray dogs and cats Anna always kept until she found them homes.出自： G. Stein
If we have a dog that has, perhaps, turned on a child, then we home it where there are no children.出自：Maidenhead Advertiser
He worked automatically till it was time to go home.出自： D. H. Lawrence
He liked to explain that he was doing well. He wrote home about it.出自： M. Callaghan
- home的基本意思是“家,故乡”,多指某人出生以及成长的环境或与某人一起居住的地方。在美国口语中, home可与house互换,即把“家”和“住宅”看成一体。home也可作“家庭,家乡”解,这时其前不用冠词。
- home用作副词的基本意思是“在家,回家,到家”,多用在be home, go home, come home, arrive home, bring home, hurry home等短语中作状语。
- home, dwelling, family, house, residence
- 这五个词都有“家,家庭,家宅”的意思。其区别在于:home指某人出生以及成长的环境或与某人一起居住的地方; dwelling为文学用语,用以同商店、办公室及其他建筑物相区别的住宅; family指的是家庭成员,与居住地无关; house强调人们居住的建筑物本身; residence常指周围大片土地的宅邸,也可指普通的房屋,尤其是自己的住宅。例如:
- There's nothing like home.哪儿也没有家里好。
- Their clothes were in rags and their dwellings were small and poorly furnished.他们衣衫褴褛,住房狭小,家具简陋。
- Because our family is happy and healthy we reckon ourselves fortunate.因为我们一家人幸福健康,我们认为我们是幸运的。
- She offered to help Rose in house keeping when I was not here.我不在时,她主动帮助露丝料理家务。
- Buy a house, build a home.买一所房子,安一个家。
- The President's residence is the White House in Washington,D.C.总统的官邸是华盛顿特区的白宫。
- come home to, go home to
- 两者意义比较接近,但意境色彩不尽一样:come home to作“触及”解,而go home to则是“感受到”的意思。试比较:
- No truth comes home to the feeling of a writer without living experience.
- 没有生活体验,真情实感是不能触动 作家的灵感的。
- Such an earnestness will go home to any heart.
- her letters home 她写给家里的信
- her home letters 她的家人写给她的信
- She's not got home.
- Is she home yet?
- Is she at home?
误 I arranged to go my friend's home for tea.
正 I arranged to go to my friend's home for tea.
析 如果home前有名词所有格或物主代词,则 home 用作名词,要加适当的介词。他抛弃了舒适的家。
误 He abandoned his cosy family.
正 He abandoned his cosy home.
误 He was born into a doctor's home.
正 He was born into a doctor's family.
析 be born into home不一定说明出身, be born into family(家庭)才表示某人的出身。
误 He didn't know whether to wait or go to home.
正 He didn't know whether to wait or go home.
析 跟在come, go, arrive, get, send, take, bring等动态动词后面的 home为副词,不应加介词。他下班回家了吗?
误 Is he at home from work?
正 Is he home from work?
析 be home可以表示“(下班)回家”“回来”,相当于 return home; be at home 可以表示“在家里”,相当于 in the house。住在家中(走读)可以给学生省下很多钱。
误 Living home would save the student a lot of money.
正 Living at home would save the student a lot of money.
析 home用作副词时一般与be或go等动态动词连用表示方向。如果与静态动词(如本句中的live)连用时表示位置,一般用at home。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的ham；最初源自挪威语的heimr，意为人躺或住的地方。