the act of contacting one thing with another;
"repeated hitting raised a large bruise"
"after three misses she finally got a hit"
- He shot (off) several bullets before hitting the target.
- That low beam is a menace! I keep hitting my head on it.
- I came near hitting him.
- The enemy gas tank received a direct hit and went up in a huge explosion that was heard for miles around.
- He was filled with remorse after hitting the child.
- A hit in this ring.
- The boat has scars from hitting the reefs.