(used of the meanings of words or text) not literal; using figures of speech;
consisting of or forming human or animal figures;
"a figural design"
"the figurative art of the humanistic tradition"
- The word here is used in its figurative sense.
- He imprisoned her,in a figurative sense.
- This has long been taken not only literally, but also in a figurative sense, for the Orient has been considered as the source of wisdom and illumination.
- Baptism is a figurative ceremony.
- Work in recent years has taken the form of large-scale figurative, ceramic sculptures.
- From a cave in southwestern Germany, archaeologists have unearthed the oldest known piece of figurative art.
By a figurative..speech he declareth the horror..of the damned.出自： Coverdale
- literal 逐字的