causing fear or dread or terror;
"the awful war"
"an awful risk"
"a career or vengeance so direful that London was shocked"
"the dread presence of the headmaster"
"polio is no longer the dreaded disease it once was"
"a dreadful storm"
"a fearful howling"
"horrendous explosions shook the city"
"a terrible curse"
- The battlefield was a fearsome sight.
- He had a kind heart though he looked fearsome.
- He has a fearsome reputation as a fighter.
- He was dark-browed, grim and fearsome.
- Its fearsome appearance struck terror into their hearts.