having momentous consequences; of decisive importance;
"that fateful meeting of the U.N. when...it declared war on North Korea"
"the fatal day of the election finally arrived"
(of events) having extremely unfortunate or dire consequences; bringing ruin;
"the stock market crashed on Black Friday"
"a calamitous defeat"
"the battle was a disastrous end to a disastrous campaign"
"such doctrines, if true, would be absolutely fatal to my theory"
"it is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it"
"a fateful error"
controlled or decreed by fate; predetermined;
"a fatal series of events"
- I relive that fateful day over and over in my mind.
- How can you overlook these fateful events?
- This step involved many fateful consequences.
- The coming months will be fraught with fateful decisions.
- For others elsewhere it was also a fateful day.
- She looked back now to that fateful day in December.
- His heart sink as he listen to the judge utter the fateful word.
The confusion of patriotism and personalities left behind by the fateful gathering.出自： J. Galsworthy