- v. 排出；排干；喝光；耗尽
- n. 下水道；消耗
- 排水设备， 排水系统
- vt. & vi. (使)逐渐变干,(使)逐渐流干 (cause to) become gradually dry, as water or other liquid is removed; (cause to) flow off gradually or completely
- vt. 喝光 have a drink out
- [C]排水沟,排水管 a pipe that carries away dirty water from a building
- [C]流尽,用光 sth that drains, empties or uses up
emptying something accomplished by allowing liquid to run out of it
tube inserted into a body cavity (as during surgery) to remove unwanted material
a pipe through which liquid is carried away
a gradual depletion of energy or resources;
"a drain on resources"
"a drain of young talent by emigration"
flow off gradually;
"The rain water drains into this big vat"
deplete of resources;
"The exercise class drains me of energy"
empty of liquid; drain the liquid from;
"We drained the oil tank"
"Life in the camp drained him"
- We must dig a trench to drain away the water.
- They drain the swamp and turn it into fertile land.
- They all rose and drained their glasses.
- She felt drained of energy.
- We have to call a plumber to unblock the drain.
- Military spending is a huge drain on the country's resources.
- Leave the dishes on the board to drain.
- This land won't drain.
- The sticky yellowish brown soil drains well.
- The tension drained slightly and they stole little glances at each other.
- They have drained the swimming pool.
- The effort drained all his energy.
- At one draught he drained the water.
- If this wet land was drained, it would be good farmland.
- Our house is well drained.
- He felt drained.
- Let's drain the glasses dry.
- They drained the swamps dry.
- The usurers are leeches; they have drained us dry.
- The drain was choked up with dirt.
- His wife's illness has been a great drain on his income.
- drain away (v.+adv.)
(使)用尽〔消耗完〕 (cause to) be used or spent
The rainwater drained away.
雨水流掉了。drain sth ⇔ away
Dig trenches to drain away the water.
Doctors used to cut people open to drain the polluted blood away.
从前,医生常常在人体上切口把污血放出。drain away to sth
Some of the cleverest men in Britain drained away to the United States after the war.
战后,英国的一些最有才华的人被吸引到美国去了。drain sb ⇔ away
Some of the cleverest men in Britain were drained away to the United States after the war.
My energy is draining away.
His courage drained away.
His life was slowly draining away.
他的生命逐渐枯竭了。drain sth ⇔ away
This hard work has drained away my keenness.
Now that price are rising so fast, all my money is draining away.
物价上涨得如此之快,我的钱都快花光了。drain sth ⇔ away
The rise in costs has drained all our profit away.
- drain from (v.+prep.)
离开,被吸引而脱离(某地) leave; be attracted away from (some place)
drain from sth
The blood drained from her face as she learned what had happened.
The children stared at the lion, all the colour draining from their faces.
孩子们目不转睛地盯着狮子,个个面如土色。drain sth from sth
Drain the liquids from the tin before you serve the vegetables.
Drain all the oil from the engine.
Fright drained all colour from his face.
Peripheral auto routes drains traffic from the city centre.
外环高速公路把市中心的交通流引开。drain from some place
Thousands of clever men drained from Britain in the years just after the war.
在战后的头几年里,成千上万的有识之士离开了英国。drain sb/sth from some place
The chance of better pay and advantages has drained many good men away from Britain.
- drain into (v.+prep.)
(指河流或陆地)使其水流入(某个水域) (of a river or land) to allow its waters to flow into (a body of water)
drain into some place
All the rivers on the east side of England drain into the North Sea.
Central Europe drains into the Danube.
The whole island drains into the one river.
- drain of (v.+prep.)
弄〔耗〕光…,弄空… empty (sb) of (sth)
drain sth of sth
At first, you have to drain the container of all the old oil.
Draining mountains of everlasting snow, the river twists for nineteen hundred miles.
这条河把终年积雪的群山上的融雪带走,蜿蜒1900英里长。drain sb of sth
The expense drains us of all our income.
He drained his parents of every cent they had.
This country is being drained of its best doctors.
I felt as if I had been drained of all my strength.
I felt drained of thought.
- drain the cup of (v.+n.+prep.)
备尝,饱尝 suffer from sorrow deeply
- drain off (v.+adv.)
将一定量的酒喝光 drink (a quantity of liquid) completely
Open the pipe to let the water drain off.
The rainwater drained off.
雨水流掉了。drain sth ⇔ off
Drain off the rest of the wine from this barrel.
Drain off all fat that cooks out.
把煮出来的油脂都撇掉。drain sth ⇔ off
With an effort, he drained off the whole bottle.
- drain out (v.+adv.)
流失,失掉; 停止 be lost; cease
drain out (of sth)
When the pipe was unblocked, the water drained out.
The water drained out of the flower-pot through the hole in the bottom.
水从花盆底部的洞漏出去。drain sth ⇔ out
First you must drain the dirty water out and then clean the pipe.
All her strength drained out when she was discouraged in what she was doing.
- go down the drain
白白被浪费掉go to waste
- drain well 排水很畅
- drain completely〔painfully, thoroughly〕 完全排出
- drain entirely 完全排出
- drain slightly 略微排出
- drain slowly 慢慢排去
- drain steadily 稳稳地排出
- drain away (生命)枯竭,(怒气)平息,(紧张的心情)消失,(废水)排尽
- drain away manpower 消耗人力
- drain water away 排水
- drain off 排去(液体)
- drain off liquids 排去液体
- drain off rain 排掉雨水
- drain from 从…中流掉
- drain water from field 把田里的水排掉
- drain into the Danube 向多瑙河排水
- drain into river 流入河里
- drain into sea 流入大海
- drain of 把(某物)中的…抽走〔空〕,耗光(某人)的(某物)
- drain sb of sb's energy 耗尽某人的精力
- drain the tank of all water 排去储水箱中所有的水
- drain the cup of sorrow to the bottle 饱尝辛酸
We found the drain blocked already and the yard full of water.出自： L. Lee
The little boys were noisily draining soft drinks.出自： W. Boyd
- drain既可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,可接名词或代词作宾语,也可接以形容词作补足语的复合宾语。用作不及物动词时,常与away, off等词连用。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的dreahnian；最初源自原始日耳曼语的draug，意为干旱。