a state of being confined (usually for a short time);
"his detention was politically motivated"
"the prisoner is on hold"
"he is in the custody of police"
a punishment in which a student must stay at school after others have gone home;
"the detention of tardy pupils"
- The detention of the whole class was unfair.
- He was detained in that house of detention.
- We are placing your son in criminal detention.
- They were put into detention camps for the duration.
- detention home 少年教养院,青少年教...
- detention center (青少年罪犯)感化中...
- detention centre 感化中心; 拘留中心...
- preventive detention 防范性拘留
- detention basin 拦洪水库,蓄洪水库,...
- surface detention 地面滞流,地表滞流,...
- detention camp 隔离营
- subsurface detention 地下滞留
- detention hospital 拘留病院
- detention barracks 军中拘留所
- detention reservoir 拦洪水库
- detention time 滞留时间
- detention dam 蓄洪坝
- detention tank (污水)滞留(沉淀)...
- detention storage 滞洪蓄水
- initial detention 地面蓄水,初始滞流...
- detention house (移民)临时扣留所...
- customs detention 海关扣留
- detention charge 逾期滞延费,滞留费...
- detention period 滞留期,停留期...
The detention of long-since-due debts.出自：Timon of Athens , Shakespeare