- n. 设计；图样；图案；目的
- v. 设计；计划
- vt. & vi. 设计,绘制 make designs from which sth will be made
- vt. 计划,筹划 plan or develop for a certain purpose
- [C]图样,设计图 a drawing or pattern showing how sth is to be made (for sth)
- [C]构想,构思 general arrangement or planning (of a building, book, machine, picture, etc.)
- [C][U]计划,图谋,企图 purpose; intention
- [P]阴谋,诡计 conspire; trick
the act of working out the form of something (as by making a sketch or outline or plan);
"he contributed to the design of a new instrument"
an arrangement scheme;
"the awkward design of the keyboard made operation difficult"
"it was an excellent design for living"
"a plan for seating guests"
something intended as a guide for making something else;
"a blueprint for a house"
"a pattern for a skirt"
a decorative or artistic work;
"the coach had a design on the doors"
an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions;
"his intent was to provide a new translation"
"good intentions are not enough"
"it was created with the conscious aim of answering immediate needs"
"he made no secret of his designs"
a preliminary sketch indicating the plan for something;
"the design of a building"
the creation of something in the mind
make or work out a plan for; devise;
"They contrived to murder their boss"
"design a new sales strategy"
"plan an attack"
plan something for a specific role or purpose or effect;
"This room is not designed for work"
create the design for; create or execute in an artistic or highly skilled manner;
"Chanel designed the famous suit"
make a design of; plan out in systematic, often graphic form;
"design a better mousetrap"
"plan the new wing of the museum"
"Dupont designs for the house of Chanel"
conceive or fashion in the mind; invent;
"She designed a good excuse for not attending classes that day"
intend or have as a purpose;
"She designed to go far in the world of business"
- This dress is of the latest design.
- He chalked out a design on the blackboard.
- The bedcover was quilted in a flower design.
- His evil designs were frustrated.
- He designed us a beautiful house.
- How do you design your college campus life?
- He designed this machine.
- Was it possible to design a simple, general-purpose control unit?
- He has designed all the scenes and costumes.
- Linda designs all her own dresses.
- She designed a new generator that saved the company millions.
- Those buildings were designed on the American style of architecture.
- The estate is so designed that the front of each house faced away from busy roads.
- We designed the experiment to test the new drug.
- Series of tests have been designed to assess their mathematical ability.
- This weekend party was designed to bring the two leaders together.
- The building has been specially designed to provide easy access for people in wheelchairs.
- This course of study is designed to help those who are wishing to go abroad.
- This policy is designed to assure U.S. oil needs.
- His recent trip was designed to seek for foreign aid.
- The new prison system is designed to reform criminals rather than just punish them.
- He has designed to go to Australia for a trip in the fall.
- She designs to become a physicist.
- I designed going abroad two years ago.
- I didn't design that you should have known it.
- He designed us a beautiful house.
- The teacher designed the students a proper plan.
- He designed a beautiful house to us.
- They designed him to study abroad.
- His parents designed him to be a doctor.
- They designed the building to be a church.
- This is a well designed easel which folds up quickly and neatly.
- He bought a beautifully designed piano that blends with any style of furniture.
- The design was picked out in the bright red.
- The design is formed with triangles.
- You should match the design at the edge of one length of paper with that at the edge of the one next to it.
- This piece of cloth has a new design.
- They have a lot of designs and sell at reasonable prices.
- The design of the building is well matched in colour.
- Your latest design approximates much more closely to what I understand the building to be like.
- The design conforms with the regulations.
- His whole energies are dedicated to improve the design.
- It is our hope that the revised design will meet the case.
- The building seats 2000 people, but is of poor design.
- His evil designs were frustrated.
- He mingled among them with evil designs.
- The man has designs on your money.
- The success of this car shows the importance of good design in helping to sell the product.
- He failed in his design to become Prime Minister.
- design for (v.+prep.)
为…设计 intend, plan, or set apart for a certain purpose or use
design sb/sth for sb/sth/v-ing
Mother has designed the future for her son.
His parents designed him for the navy.
She designs dresses for a large clothing shop.
He designed his son for a lawyer.
He designed this scheme for raising money.
This room was designed for the children.
The nursery was designed for the baby's use.
That part of the garden was designed for vegetables.
The congratulatory message was designed for political effect.
- by design
故意地; 蓄意地 according to a plan; deliberately
- have designs against
对…有不良企图 have a plot to sb/sth
- design a building 设计大楼
- design a house 设计房子
- design a machine 设计一台机器
- design a musical composition 构思乐曲
- design a new town 设计新的城镇
- design a propaganda campaign 筹划一次宣传运动
- design dance movements 设计舞蹈动作
- design admirably 极好地设计
- design expressly 明确地设计
- design exquisitely 精巧地设计
- design primarily 初步地设计
- design properly 恰当地设计
- design scientifically 科学地设计
- design seriously 认真地设计
- design skillfully 技术高超地设计
- design solely 单独地设计
- design specially 具体地设计
- design sth as 打算把…作…用
- design sb for 打算让…当…
- design sb for some occupation 打算要某人从事某种职业
- design sth for 打算用作
- design sth for some purpose 打算把某物用于某种用途
- design on 计划进攻
- design an attack on〔upon〕 图谋攻击…
- carry out a design 实行一项计划
- complete a design 完成计划
- create a design 设计图案,进行设计
- draw a design 绘图
- draw up a design 制订计划
- make a design 设计图样
- need a design 需要设计
- prepare a design 准备设计
- produce a design 设计图案
- work out a design 完成设计
- aggressive design 侵略阴谋
- ambitious design 大胆的设计
- architectural design 建筑设计
- beautiful design 美丽的图案
- classic design 古典式样
- elaborate design 精致的图案
- elegant design 优美的图案
- fashionable design 流行的款式
- industrial design 工业产品设计
- modern design 现代设计
- murderous design 谋杀的企图
- sinister design 阴谋的企图
- the latest design 最新的设计
Grey..had concurred in the design of insurrection.出自： Ld Macaulay
She sat on the bench directly in front of his desk, not with any design, but because, unlike the others, it was empty.出自： B. Rubens
The plains..ere long to be design'd Castille.出自： Southey
- design常用于被动结构,意思是“目的是…; 打算给…用”。
- design的基本意思是“设计”,指对书、画、建筑物、机器、艺术品等的设计。作具体的“设计样式,设计图样”解时是可数名词; 而指“设计工艺,设计布局”时则是不可数名词。
- design作“计划,意图”解时,后面有时可接动词不定式,也可接“in+ v -ing”的形式作定语。
They design going/to go at once.
He designs that the house shall be redecorated in the summer.
These handkerchiefs are (of) a very smart design.
- design, intend, plan
- design指为达到某种特定的目的而周密地、精心地“计划,筹划”,它偏重于计划的目的性、周密性和细致性; intend指在心中已有确定的目标或计划,作“盘算,意想”解,比plan的语气强,如:
- I intended to write to you, but I didn't get time to do so.我本打算写信给你,但是我没有时间。
- We are planning to buy a refrigerator.我们正计划买一台电冰箱。
- design, plan, project, scheme
- plan是一般用语,指事先作出的程序或安排; project指为进行试验而提出的大胆的计划,这种计划常常是大规模的、有时是不切实际的; design指为达到某一目的而在心中作出的打算,往往强调最后的结果,有时用于贬义; scheme常指精心安排的计划或秘密策划的阴谋。例如:
- Flying in a heavy machine was once thought an impossible project.从前认为乘笨重的飞行器飞行是一种不可实现的设想。
- Whether by accident or design, he overturned the lamp.不管是出于偶然还是故意,他把灯打翻了。
- They carefully worked out a scheme for assassinating the Prime Minister.他们精心策划了一个暗杀首相的方案。
- design for, design of
- design后接介词of和接for时,意思稍有不同。如说“the design of a building”是指建筑设计的本身,即“大楼的设计”; 而说“the design for a building”则是指“大楼的设计图纸”。
- ☆ 16世纪40年代进入英语，直接源自拉丁语的designare：de (出） + signare (做记号），意为标出。