- vt. & vi. 相信 consider to be true, honest, or real
- vt. & vi. 认为,想 hold as an opinion; think; suppose
- vi. 信仰 have a firm religious faith
accept as true; take to be true;
"I believed his report"
"We didn't believe his stories from the War"
"She believes in spirits"
judge or regard; look upon; judge;
"I think he is very smart"
"I believe her to be very smart"
"I think that he is her boyfriend"
"The racist conceives such people to be inferior"
be confident about something;
"I believe that he will come back from the war"
follow a credo; have a faith; be a believer;
"When you hear his sermons, you will be able to believe, too"
credit with veracity;
"You cannot believe this man"
"Should we believe a publication like the National Enquirer?"
- We believe in his ability.
- Some people believe in God and others don't.
- Some people believe poverty engenders crime.
- They believe it is essential to defy convention.
- I quite believe!
- Do you think he will come?—Yes,I believe so.
- But is such a thing possible?—I believe so.
- Do you think Betty is able to finish the work before supper?—I believe so.
- He is French?—I believe not.
- Will they be ready tomorrow?—I believe not.
- It must be Jack who is watching TV.—I believe not.
- I don't believe him.
- Everybody believed her.
- I believe that man.
- Believe me, that white horse has won the champion of the race.
- Believe me,I promise not to tell.
- I feel like the United States president with his finger on the nuclear button—believe me,I take the responsibility of this job seriously.
- Believe me, come outside and I'll show you.
- Do you believe his story?
- How can you believe such nonsense?
- She believed his bare word.
- We no longer believed the rumour spread by them.
- Don't believe everything that he tells you.
- She was unable to believe her ears, because the news seemed too good to be true.
- He could not believe his ears when he was told that his brother was dead.
- He thought he heard a gun firing in the distance, but he couldn't believe his ears.
- When I saw how she was dressed,I could hardly believe my eyes!
- At that moment,I could hardly believe my eyes.
- The old lady could hardly believe her eyes when her only son returned home two years later.
- “Do you think it will rain tomorrow?”“I don't believe so〔I believe not〕.”
- Believe it or not,I'm feeling quite homesick.
- Believe it or not, the boy can beat his father at chess.
- Believe it or not, he walked 12 miles to get help for you.
- Believe it or not,China will never yield to outside pressure.
- Believe it or not, all the passengers came through the plane crash alive.
- Believe it or not, he is worth two million.
- Believe it or not, they thrive where there are hurricanes and high waves.
- The skill of these jugglers has to be seen to be believed.
- The report was generally believed.
- He firmly believed that he was inspired from something outside himself.
- I now believe beyond all doubt that time is more precious than anything.
- They firmly believed that their blood would not be shed in vain.
- I firmly believe that when I return, my hometown will have a brand-new appearance.
- People used to believe that the earth was flat.
- The pilot said the crew believed that there might be others on board.
- He believed that the state should own the means of production.
- I believe that he will do what he has promised.
- I believe that you are telling the truth.
- We all believe that you can do the job well.
- We believe that the developing countries will certainly become prosperous.
- Victor Henry believed that he was going to die.
- Men believed for thousands of years that the Earth was the centre of everything.
- They didn't believe that we could hit the target.
- We don't believe that your product is just perfect, without a single flaw.
- I don't believe that he will come tomorrow.
- I believe you are right.
- I believe they have their own workshop in which these things are manufactured.
- I quite believe what you say.
- He believed what his friend told him.
- Nobody will believe how difficult this question has been.
- It is generally believed that seeing is believing.
- It is believed that the troops have already crossed the border.
- It is universally believed that only reform can serve to raise the production level.
- It is commonly believed that the play was written by Shakespeare.
- I believe you that he will be there.
- She believes me that such things matter much.
- He believes himself to be a great artist.
- He believes himself to be a capable man.
- They believed him her accomplice.
- I believe this to be true.
- I believe Dr. Aziz to be innocent.
- They believed these principles to be universally true.
- I believe him right.
- They believed him mistaken.
- We believe the method available.
- The president is believed to be seriously ill.
- He is believed to be dead.
- For many years the atom was believed to be indivisible.
- We believe him to have done it.
- I believe him to have quit smoking.
- He was believed to belong to a certain democratic party.
- The fire is believed to have been caused by an oil heater.
- I believe it difficult to dispose of the job in such a short time.
- Do you believe it any good sending more people there?
- We all believed it unimaginable that he had lived alone on a deserted island for so long.
- He has,I believe,four children.
- believe in (v.+prep.)
认为有益 consider sth to be good
believe in sb/sth
I still don't believe in ghosts even after my experience at the Rose Inn.
Do you believe in fairies?
I don't believe in that sort of thing.
I believe in this teaching method.
I believe in his innocence.
I do not believe in such nonsense.
A hundred years ago few people believed in the possibility of flying.
Until now,I have always believed firmly in his good intentions.
He profoundly believed in the future victory of the revolution.
She could not make anyone believe in her world of fantasy.
We believe firmly in the inexhaustible creative power of the masses.
我们坚信群众的创造力是无穷无尽的。believe in sb/sth
Christians believe in God and Jesus.
He said that he had never believed in God.
He believes in Christianity.
My grandpa believes in Buddhism.
Chinese citizens enjoy the freedom to believe in religion and the freedom not to believe in it and to propagate atheism.
中国公民有信仰宗教的自由和不信仰宗教、宣传无神论的自由。believe in sb/sth
I don't believe in that man.
I believe in my good friend,Tom.
You can believe in him; he'll never let you down.
We believe in him, who is always true to his word.
I can believe him, but I cannot believe in him.
We believe in our government.
We stopped believing in the football team after they lost twelve matches in a row.
在那支足球队连输了十二场以后,我们不再对它抱有信心了。believe in sth/v-ing/that-clause
We firmly believe in collective leadership.
He believed in rotating the crops to save the strength of the soil.
They believe in going to bed before ten o'clock and getting up at six.
I believe in working like hell.
He believes in getting plenty of exercise.
I've always believed in being broad-minded.
I don't believe in marrying young.
He is very direct, and believes in speaking his mind.
He believed in the students being taught on the translation method.
He believes in that children should be grateful and accept the fact that their parents know what is best for them.
他主张孩子们应感谢并接受这一事实,即他们的父母知道对于他们来说什么是最好的。believe in sth/v-ing
More and more people are believing in vegetarianism and diet for health.
His grandfather believes more in fresh air and exercise for his health than in medicine.
People believe in fresh air as a cure of illness.
He believes in old-fashioned remedies.
Jane believes in eating carefully to control her weight.
Jim believes in going for a run every morning.
- believe of( v.+prep. )
相信 think that (sth such as behaviour, usually bad) could be done by sb
believe sth of sb
You say he's going to be a father again at seventy-two?I wouldn't have believed it of him.
I'd believe anything of that woman!
After all the changes of policy,I'd believe absolutely anything of that man.
I should not have believed the promise of the boss.
- make believe (v.+v.)
想象; 假装 imagine; pretend
make believe to-v
She made believe not to hear me.
她假装没有听懂我的话。make believe that-clause
Tom made believe he was enjoying whitewashing the fence.
My brother made believe that he was sick so that he would not have to go to school.
- believe a doctrine 相信某种主义〔教义〕
- believe one's ear 相信自己的耳朵
- believe one's eye 相信自己的眼睛
- believe rumour(s) 听信谣言
- believe sb's good fortune 相信某人会走好运
- believe sb's statement 相信某人陈述的意见
- believe the story 相信故事
- believe absolutely 绝对相信
- believe ardently 坚信
- believe blindly 盲目相信
- believe candidly 坦诚地相信
- believe commonly 普遍相信
- believe confidently 确信
- believe conscientiously 诚心诚意地信仰
- believe currently 普遍相信
- believe dispassionately 不带偏见地相信
- believe dogmatically 坚持相信
- believe erroneously 错误地相信
- believe firmly 坚信
- believe frankly 坦诚地相信
- believe fully 充分相信
- believe fundamentally 基本上相信
- believe generally 普遍相信
- believe illogically 不合逻辑地相信
- believe infallibly 绝对可靠地相信
- believe ingenuously 天真地相信
- believe instinctively 凭直觉相信
- believe irrationally 荒谬地相信
- believe obstinately 固执地认为
- believe passionately 完全坚信
- believe persistently 坚信
- believe profoundly 深信
- believe really 的确相信
- believe reasonably 明智地相信
- believe religiously 彻底相信
- believe seriously 坚信
- believe sincerely 真诚地相信
- believe staunchly 坚信
- believe strongly 坚信
- believe superstitiously 迷信地认为
- believe thoroughly 深信
- believe uncompromisingly 坚信
- believe universally 普遍相信
- believe unquestioningly 确信
- believe unshakably 坚定不移地相信
- believe unswervingly 毫不动摇
- believe beyond all doubt 毫不怀疑地相信
- believe in a doctrine 信仰某种教义
- believe in a person 相信某人
- believe in a religion 信仰宗教
- believe in a system 主张一种制度
- believe in a theory 信仰一种学说
- believe in an adviser 信任顾问
- believe in boarding schools 认为寄宿学校好
- believe in Buddhism 信仰佛教
- believe in Christianity 信奉基督教
- believe in equality of opportunity 主张机会均等
- believe in freedom 主张自由
- believe in God 信奉上帝
- believe in miracles 相信奇迹会发生
- believe in penalties for... 主张对…罚款
- believe in sb's ability 相信某人的能力
- believe in sb's honesty 相信某人诚实
- believe in sb's innocence 相信某人是清白的
- believe in taxing sb 主张对某人征税
- believe in the law of... 相信…的规律
- believe in the theory 相信这个理论
- believe in Western medicine 相信西医
- believe of 认为某事是某人所为
For God..gave his only begotten Sonne: that whosoever beleeveth in him, should not perish, but have eternall life.出自：Bible (AV): King John
I am going to be frank with you, I don't believe in doctors.出自： G. B. Shaw
Be positive and believe in yourself, otherwise you will start to doubt your own ability.出自： G. Boycott
- 在口语里, believe还可作“想”“认为”解,表示和缓的、不太肯定的口气,相当于suppose,有时则仅仅表示客气,不愿说得太绝对。
- believe用作及物动词时,后面可跟名词、代词或that/wh-从句作宾语,也可接以that从句(表示将来)充当直接宾语的双宾语; 还可接以“(to be+) n./adj. ”或动词不定式充当补足语的复合宾语(表示过去或现在)。用作不及物动词时,后面常跟介词in。
- 在回答前面的问句时, believe须接so或not替代问句中肯定或否定的宾语。
- believe 等动词后面的复合宾语的第一部分如果不是名词或代词,而是从句、动词不定式短语或动名词短语,通常要用it来代替,把从句或短语放到句子后部去。
- 在简略答语中一般不单独使用believe，而用I (don't) believe so.或I believe not。
- 区别believe和believe in的用法，believe someone指“相信某人所为”，believe in someone指“信赖某人的为人可靠”或“相信某人将有所作为”；
I believed (that) you belonged to that company.
You are believed to be honest.
She believes she told me,but she is not sure.
She made believe to be ill.
- believe, believe in
- 二者都有“相信”的意思。其区别在于:believe表示相信某人说的话是真的或相信某事会发生(或已经发生); 而believe in却多表示信赖某人或信仰某事物,相信其存在或价值,其后常接真理、宗教一类的词,接sb 作宾语则指相信某人的人格。例如：
- I can believe him, but I cannot believe in him.我可以相信他的话是真的，但是不相信他的为人。
- believe, accept
- 这两个词都可以表示“相信”,但含义上有细微差别。accept强调的是对某人的解释或声明的真实性感到满意或认为可以接受,有时含有不加鉴别或者无可奈何甚至是违心的意思,常可译为“认可”; 而believe则强调相信某事是真的。例如:
- He accepted the explanation without question.他认可了这个解释,没有提出疑问。
- We no longer believed the lies spread by them.我们再也不相信他们散布的谣言了。
- believe, consider, think
- believe与consider, think在用法上有以下相同之处:
- Do you believe〔consider, think〕 that jogging is helpful to your health? 你认为慢跑对你的身体有益吗?
- 2.后面可以接由名词或代词+to be(常常省略)的复合宾语。例如:
- Do you believe〔consider, think〕 Mr. Bell (to be) a good doctor? 你认为贝尔先生是个好医生吗?
- I don't believe〔consider, think〕 it possible. 我认为这件事情是不可能的。
- Everybody believes〔considers, thinks〕 his living alone strange. 人人都认为他离群独居是不可思议的。
- believe, trust
- 这两个词都有“相信”“信任”的意思。两者的区别在于:trust表示相信某人的为人或能力; believe则表示相信某人所说的话或其人格的可靠性。
- believe that, trust that...
- believe，believe in
- believe表示“相信”、“信以为真”（to accept as true）之意，它是及物动词，其后直接跟宾语。
- believe in则表示“信仰”、“信任”（to have faith in somebody or something）之意。是一个动介型短语动词。其后的常用搭配语为：有关宗教、理论、原则、概念及可信任之人，如：a religion, ghosts, fairies, a theory, a friend等词；例中的believe为不及物动词。
误 I'm believing he is wrong.
正 I believe he is wrong.
误 I believe that he didn't tell me the truth.
正 I don't believe that he has told me the truth.我认为他修不好这辆自行车。
误 I believe he cannot fix the bike.
正 I don't believe he can fix the bike.
误 I believe him to come.
正 I believe that he will come.
析 believe接动词不定式作宾语补足语时,在主动式中,只能用过去时或完成体; 若表示将来,则须使用that从句。只有在被动式才可使用动词不定式。例如:He is believed to arrive in time.相信他会按时到达。 我认为这是个错误,不是吗?
误 I believe that it was a mistake, doesn't it?
正 I believe that it was a mistake, wasn't it?
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的belfan，意为相信；最初源自原始日耳曼语的ga-laubjan，意为挚爱。